John Petrucci Favorite Riffs

He’s plugged into his Mesa JP-2C signature head. You can see the cable. He uses the Axe FX for effects I believe.
That said, there are numerous credible sources on this forum stating the AXE III models of the JP2C are spot on. This includes Cooper Carter who sets up JP’s AXE rig for him, and Cliff himself who has previously said JP has given the models his stamp of approval. Without his Mesa endorsement I am
convinced he would happily swap to using the AXE for his amp tones. Got to be cheaper than hauling amps and cabs all over the world. And a lot more robust and consistent night to night.

Last edited:
That said, there are numerous credible sources on this forum stating the AXE III models of the JP2C are spot on. This includes Cooper Carter who sets up JP’s AXE rig for him, and Cliff himself who has previously said JP has given the models his stamp of approval. Without his Mesa endorsement I am
convinced he would happily swap to using the AXE for his amp tones. Got to be cheaper than hauling amps and cabs all over the world. And a lot more robust and consistent night to night.
It's certainly cheaper, but John has mentioned in interviews that he enjoys messing around and trying new pedals in his rig. The soundcheck time when he gets to mess with the rig is his favorite part of the day.

It's certainly cheaper, but John has mentioned in interviews that he enjoys messing around and trying new pedals in his rig. The soundcheck time when he gets to mess with the rig is his favorite part of the day.
Didn’t know that. Cool.

Guess he could still mess with pedals in front of the AXE, or even just mess with everything in the AXE at sound check.

I've compared both side by side as well. Pretty darn close to my ears. Of course my Axe output is just coming through studio monitors, which aren't moving air, but tone wise Cooper is spot on when he says that Cliff nailed the it with the JP2C model.

One of my favorite guitarists....too bad he gets so much flack for being "too technical." Love that BIG sound too, very nice.

I guess when you're on top of the mountain you have lots of haters.

One of my favorite guitarists....too bad he gets so much flack for being "too technical." Love that BIG sound too, very nice.

I guess when you're on top of the mountain you have lots of haters.

I get the impression that most of the people who hate on JP for being a shredder have never listened to a full album of his music. His playing is very melody focused and his technical excellence is only one component of what makes his playing / writing so great. You can decide you don't like his music (everyone gets an opinion), but accusing him of being a shredder in the derogatory sense just comes across as uninformed.

Agreed. He is a freak of nature with the technical aspect but the guy has beautiful phrasing and chord progressions as well. Some of his solo's are just magical. He can rip faster than anything but he's very tasteful with spaces between notes, long vibrato's. Best of Times solo for instance, is one of my favorites. And on top of his playing, his sound is just so massive. I've seen him play in person at a clinic. Gives you goosebumps

Back
Top Bottom