John Norum's (Europe) live tone

Megahertzz

Inspired
Has anyone tried tone matching John Norum's recent live tone? I really like the clarity and punch.

Europe - The Final Countdown (London 2011): https://youtu.be/eAaP03Qs6cE

Found his webpage, and there's some information about the gear he uses, but not the settings. Still, I think it should be possible to get pretty near tone-wise.

http://www.johnnorum.se/gear/

cffacb25e36a1d76cd28a03d48064054.jpg

I probably won't have time to play with my Axe again until over the weekend, but it would be nice to see what great tones this community can come up with.

Last edited:
I have this info about Norum´s gear and adjust:
Gibson Les Paul's, Custom, V's etc

Pickups; Seymour Duncan 59's in neck, JB's in bridge

Amps; Marshall JCM800 2205 with KT88 valves

Cabinets; Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30 speakers

On the "Last Look At Eden" record his guitars were recorded with a Neumann U47 FET straight into a NEVE VXS mixing board.

Norum changes stuff often. Guitars, pickups, cabinets. The EMG picups he used was EMG 81 and 85 (Zakk Wylde Set)
And on the Secret Society tour he used Gibson Classic 57 pickups on his 1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (But he has sold that guitar now)

And I guesse he uses his Flying V for the agressive and "gainy" sound these days

But on the "Start From The Dark" album he mosty used Gibson Les Pauls with P-90 pickups.
He used a Gold Top (with p-90) on 80 % of the solos on that album, For rythm guitar he mainly used a Gibson Les Paul Customshop '54 (also with p-90 pickups)
and on "Song Nr. 12" he used a Gibson SG '67 (again, with p-90).

DE UNA ENTREVISTA EN SUECO:

Yo uso dos amplificadores ,
Marshall JCM800 de cincuenta vatios que compré a Michael Schenker en 1997 y
Marshall Silver Jubilee cincuenta vatios

Había Anniversaryn noventa por ciento de la placa , ya que tiene un tono más blues que el grado 800 . Era sólo la canción
The Beast he usado un 6150a Peavey prestado Las cajas son Marshall, principios de los setenta con 30 Greenbacks Celestion vatios.

En directo conecto mis dos Marshalls en un MXR chorus estéreo ,
a un Dunlop Jimi Hendrix wah -wah
y luego a la guitarra. En el bucle en JCM800 tiengo un Boss Digital Delay.

START FROM THE DARK:
EN ESTUDIO:
Cable KLOTZ LA GRANGE, hechos en alemania
Amps:

-2 Marshall JCM 800 2205 50 watts. The only modification is changing of tubes to
KT-88's instead of EL-34's.
-2 Marshall Cabinets w/vintage 30 speakers run thru a stereo chorus.
-Shure 57 mikes.

Effects:

-onstage chord tuner
-SD Roland 3000 Digital Delay
-SD Roland 2000 Digital Delay (used as backup)
-boost on/off pedal
-chorus ensemble
-delay on/off switch
-Jim Dunlop Cry-Baby Pedal"
-String Brand and Guage: Ernie Ball Rock And Roll Slinky
(011-052)

AJUSTES DEL AMPLI:
presence 3-4
bass 9
mid 5-6
treble 1
master 6,5
gain 7-9

On Final Countdown I used a rait pedal with a JCM 800 for rhythms + for solos I used Boss Distortion SD-1 + a a Super Boss Overdrive mixed together.
On Total Control I used my 65 strat with DiMarzio HS3 pickups + the Boss Overdrive OD-1 - the old one with 2 knobs, and the amp was 73 50-watt Marshall Stock which I still have & use sometimes.

Total control Boss OD-1 setting: Level on full and Drive on 9 o'clock. Final Countdown: I can't really remember but about half way on each level + distortion, not too much.

Michael Jessen: Which pickups/amps did you use back when you recorded Final Countdown and Total Control?

JOHN NORUM: Same as above about the amps. Final Countdown and Total Control pickups: DiMarzio HS 3 + FS 1.

Back
Top Bottom