John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen—have released a new single together, “Wasted Days”

2017 interview:

JANE PAULEY: Okay. But you really look pretty sharp. The covered bracelet thing you got going. Probably pretty quality boots. And the scarf thing around your neck.

JOHN MELLENCAMP: The scarf thing is, a friend of mine wears one all the time. And it was to keep his neck warm. And so I thought it was very unusual 'cause he always wears a suit and a tie, and then he had this scarf wrapped around there. And so I thought, "I wanna try that." And I tried it and I liked it.
When Doc wears it, he's always dressed up. But that scarf makes it look kind of casual. But for me the scarf makes it look more dressed up because normally I look like a bag of s*** in a T-shirt and jeans. (laughs) You know? Except when I go on stage. I'm respectful to the audience and I always wear a suit on stage.

JANE PAULEY: That's true? Didn't use to be.

JOHN MELLENCAMP: Didn't used to be when I was a kid, but as I got older, out of respect to the audience. They came to see a professional and they're gonna see a professional.

Sketch;

The day I was born
I was 6Lb seven
A crying little baby
Being slid from heaven

When I turned 5
I went running off to school
all the teachers pit me
against a measuring tool

As a young teen
my first Oz of weed
I can see a million miles