John Mayer Tone

rich2k4

Inspired
Still getting used to the Axe Fx. I did a tone match of John Mayer's tone from his song Belief off of Where The Light Is. Before deciding on the Axe, I was considering the Ax8, but I thought the Tone Match feature would be useful. Well, it proved its worth to me. Very powerful feature as long as you get a good base tone. Believe it or not I used the MKIIC+ amp here as a base. Not what you would expect for John Mayer, but it is pretty good as a baseline for the tone match with its creamy leads.

While I do have a strat, I actually used a telecaster for this.

reference tone:

Nice stuff! I read most of your other thread, but didn't really feel the need to chime in at that moment. I was just going to say that, while I do play mostly through my monitor speakers for recording purposes, I play through an Alto TS112A when Im really wanting to feel like I am playing through an amp in the room. I hope everything works out for you and look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Nice stuff! I read most of your other thread, but didn't really feel the need to chime in at that moment. I was just going to say that, while I do play mostly through my monitor speakers for recording purposes, I play through an Alto TS112A when Im really wanting to feel like I am playing through an amp in the room. I hope everything works out for you and look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

I've heard people say the alto has a harsh high end and is ice picky. Do you find this to be the case?

I've heard people say the alto has a harsh high end and is ice picky. Do you find this to be the case?

I don't personally find that to be the case. Before I made the purchase I found a lot of really good reviews for the Altos and few terrible reviews. I took the chance and I haven't had any issues. I did have minor discrepancies (nothing bad, just different) between the Alto and my monitor speakers which I fixed by making changes to the Global EQ for the output I'm using for the Alto, so now I can tweak my tone on either set of speakers and the recorded tone sounds the same.

Do you need loud amplification? If not you should get studio monitors rather than a loud monitor like the Alto. We have a couple of Alto TS115s at my bands rehearsal space and they're plenty loud. We have rack EQs with quite drastic settings to get things more neutral and that way they are really good for the price but they're use case is to be heard over a drummer and not deliver the best sound quality. If you're buying something that you only plan to use at home I suggest looking at lower wattage options with better sound quality = studio monitors.

Yeah I got JBL LSR305's but I'm thinking about possibly returning them for Yamaha HS5's. The JBL's work well though. It took a little bit to get used to playing guitar through monitors.

John Mayer is always on my mind when I'm looking for bluesy tones.
I thought I might mention that the Divided By 13 amp is a pretty good amp and from what I've been playing with lately it sounds like it ticks some John Mayer boxes. Especially for the Belief solo if you put a FAS Boost in front of it.
Also Mayer uses Allessandro cabinets and I see there's some IRs of one in cab pack 6 which also happens to have the Divided By 13 IRs (2x12 with alnico blue and g12h)

Hey, a little late to the party and I'm unsure if you've already shared it, but is there any way you'd mind sharing the patch? I'm getting my Axe II XL+ soon and I'd love to have a go at some JM shit. Whilst Metal is my life, the blues is my soul.

Rich, did you remove your soundcloud media for this post?

Still getting used to the Axe Fx. I did a tone match of John Mayer's tone from his song Belief off of Where The Light Is. Before deciding on the Axe, I was considering the Ax8, but I thought the Tone Match feature would be useful. Well, it proved its worth to me. Very powerful feature as long as you get a good base tone. Believe it or not I used the MKIIC+ amp here as a base. Not what you would expect for John Mayer, but it is pretty good as a baseline for the tone match with its creamy leads.

While I do have a strat, I actually used a telecaster for this.

reference tone:

Back
Top Bottom