John Mayer PRS SE Silver Sky vs Silver Sky Core

The Custom shop Virginia is my favourite Strat from Fender but my two replicas sound as good and play better.
I'd love one of yours, for sure, but I probably can't afford it. If your shop was down the street I'd check it out, if they were for sale.

You know what they say, if we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs...

One problem I have with these is the radius and the fret size so maybe two on top of the three I stated earlier.
There is simply no case for a 7.25 ~9" radius . They only exist because "that's how they used to be" Even die hard vintage guys can get past these handicap features if they go cold turkey on to a flat board with tall wire .You can play better the guitar works better and sounds better .I know PRS say you can bend strings on 7.25" and you can but it requires the frets and relief to be perfect and then a medium action. The case against it is a high fret gives you grip and therefore better control and improved ability to articulate. Then the flatter the radius the higher the next fret clearance at any point on the neck with the same action which also results in a better tone . How many guys use Windows 95 because they are used to it? Oh and don't try and say the curve is more ergonomic because there is no evidence for this 1950s marketing BS claim.

Signature guitars with 7.25 ~9" radius only exist because the company that builds them hasn't got the balls to argue as to why this is a bad idea with the artist. Given the time to talk and with the examples I have built over the years no one who I have interacted with about this stayed on their old setup. The only exceptions to this would be guys that tour with real vintage Fender and don't want to modify them (which they shouldn't do ). It is hard to go from my set up to vintage Fender and play at the same level. Before you ask this is not about how high the action is as I do not accept buzz anywhere on the neck on any guitar I own.
For example; John Suhr persuaded Mark Knophler to switch to 12"and 6105 on the guitars he built for him. MK now plays vintage mostly so the choice is largely gone. It is difficult when guitarists are so conservative and the want to play the instruments that they coveted in their youth but "been there done that" and moved on. One thing that helped me get past this has been the opportunity to play some of the iconic guitars that I looked too (the actual ones) only to discover that most of them were actually pretty bad and it was the player is spite of these instrument and not their gear really at all. This and the fact that I have owned 250± and worked on a huge number of guitars allows me to be confident that I know what works and why. But in an industry that lives with fashion, "mojo" and other BS marketing its hardly surprising that these problems persist.

I don’t know. I recently picked up a Strat with a 7.25 radius and I actually prefer it over my 9.5” for what I use it for (SRV, Gilmour, etc.)

Now on my other guitars, that’s a different story.

Yeah - as much as I would like a SS - my hands don't agree with the 7.25 radius. When/if they make one with at least a 10" radius, SE or core - I will get it...

It’s the new normal unfortunately. After watching a couple of them, PRS is going to sell the living shit out of these. Fender had better step up their game on that price point.
That I do agree with. Id bet this is the best selling $500-$1000 guitar this year. Id almost even bet this is gonna be the best selling PRS of this year.

It’s the new normal unfortunately. After watching a couple of them, PRS is going to sell the living shit out of these. Fender had better step up their game on that price point.
Yup. If they are half as good as my two Indonesian SE guits, they are going to eat Fender's lunch....

Yup. If they are half as good as my two Indonesian SE guits, they are going to eat Fender's lunch....
Don’t get me wrong, I love my MIM Strat so much that I kept it over my MIA, for various reasons, but Fender really needs to step up their fretwork, which in my experience, is the Achilles heel of that line. Plus with the recent price hike, the PRS is a no-brainer.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my MIM Strat so much that I kept it over my MIA, for various reasons, but Fender really needs to step up their fretwork, which in my experience, is the Achilles heel of that line. Plus with the recent price hike, the PRS is a no-brainer.
Actually giving some thought to the berry-colored one as a FTE Conversion gift to myself when that happens....

I had one in my cart today (in-stock) but bailed. GAS isn’t getting the best of me this year!

Yet. 😩
Yeah, last year was a bit of a spree, so playing it cool this year.

2021 be like:
MEME2022-01-11-05-54-53.jpg

:p....

Back
Top Bottom