John Cordy: Is the FM3 under powered?

I think his videos are very good. He seems fair, honest and mostly unbiased. He readily admits his modeler of choice is Line6 and I believe him when he says he's not paid to promote products. IMH and obviously biased O he gets the best tones from his FM3 though.

I think his videos are very good. He seems fair, honest and mostly unbiased. He readily admits his modeler of choice is Line6 and I believe him when he says he's not paid to promote products. IMH and obviously biased O he gets the best tones from his FM3 though.

Totally agree with all this. I watched a lot of his content when deciding to buy an FM3 and found it intelligent and straightforward, and I like his sense of humour, too. Also a very good player. He was one of the few guys I didn't feel was trying to sell me something, which is getting on my nerves on YT these days.

(And I agree, his best tones are with the FM3, which also helped me decide to buy it.)

Totally agree with all this. I watched a lot of his content when deciding to buy an FM3 and found it intelligent and straightforward, and I like his sense of humour, too. Also a very good player. He was one of the few guys I didn't feel was trying to sell me something, which is getting on my nerves on YT these days.

(And I agree, his best tones are with the FM3, which also helped me decide to buy it.)

Full noob disclosure: The video that is the topic of this thread was one of the last ones I watched before finally deciding to order an FM3 on Friday.

The crazy baiting titles, the dumb thumbnails - Youtube MAKES you do those if you want the algorithm to work. Otherwise it literally won't promote your videos, including to your own subscribers.

I read the video title more as a research question than clickbait. I do like his content and subscribe to his channel, so naturally there's some bias there, however clickbait to me would be more along the lines of "What I discovered about the FM3 - you will NEVER believe!"

The studies in that wiki link actually indicate that articles with a question mark in the title are more likely to have “yes” as the answer.

And answering the question, “is this article clickbait” with a reference to Betteridge’ Law seems like a poor way to start out. Clearly it makes more sense to start out by defining clickbait.

From Wiki’s page on clickbait, here are a few defining characteristics:
  • Misleading
  • Deceptive
  • Sensationalized
  • Has an element of dishonesty
  • Uses enticements that do not accurately reflect the content
  • “The term can also be misused when viewers complain about an enticing thumbnail or title, as with a sexually provocative image. But if the image or title accurately reflects the content delivered upon click-through, then this is an example of simple enticement. Without the element of deception, it does not qualify as clickbait.”
  • A defining characteristic of clickbait is misrepresentation in the enticement presented to the user to manipulate them to click onto a link.
A couple other definitions referenced in the wiki:
“While there is no universally agreed-upon definition of clickbait, Merriam-Webster defines clickbait as "something designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink, especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest."[7] Dictionary.com states that clickbait is "a sensationalized headline or piece of text on the Internet designed to entice people to follow a link to an article on another web page."”

I think some people just like to call any enticing title clickbait these days. But clickbait has a negative connotation and not any headline/title that’s enticing is worthy of such negativity IMO.

On this title specifically, he posits a question based on a commonly mentioned complaint/fear about the FM3 (DSP/CPU limitations), implying that the video will seek to answer the question. In the video he loads up a bunch of stuff in a preset giving a pretty decent example. My takeaway is that he doesn’t think it’s underpowered in general, but that you can hit the CPU cap and that some users might find that underpowered for their needs. I see absolutely no elements of deception or misrepresentation.

Is it an enticing title? Yes.
Is it provocative? Ehhh...maybe.
Is it clickbait. Absolutely not.

I was expecting a snarky reply, loaded with comedic value from Deadpool, not a dissertation. ;)

The crazy baiting titles, the dumb thumbnails - Youtube MAKES you do those if you want the algorithm to work. Otherwise it literally won't promote your videos, including to your own subscribers.

I miss those times when I thought music was non-conformist and rebellious, and not obeisant
to the powers that be. Heck, we obey the dictates of algorithms now? Fun!!!! ;)

John Cordy is an "excellent" guitar player...............Just sayin. I didn't watch the video because I have heard John play many times before and I also know the answer to the title-NO, it's not underpowered.........Thank You very much!

I can’t imagine that I’m alone in that the FM3 form factor allows me to do 95% of what I need without having to pony up for the Axe3.

yes it’s under powered for power users-that’s what Ax3 is for

I can’t imagine that I’m alone in that the FM3 form factor allows me to do 95% of what I need without having to pony up for the Axe3.

yes it’s under powered for power users-that’s what Ax3 is for
You are not alone. I've had to make a few concessions here and there, but it pretty much exceeds most of my expectations. I might even put the number at 96.5%. ;)

Lol..That’s what. Thought as well. The Fm3 came in sonically superior to the other modelers..

I've had a few interactions with JC a few times. He's a gentleman and i enjoy his dry humor. He's an outstanding musician and i felt it was a good video.

Good video. If nothing else, it got me to mess around with the Wrecker Liverpool model. NICE!
I've now spent several hours with that one.

Dropped the Input Trim to .500, Input Drive to about 2.5-3 and Bass to around 3.

Tried a few different boosts in front - RCB, SDD, Tone of Kings - so much fun!

I love his playing. I feel that his opinions are honest. Though he clearly is partial to his HX Stomp, I feel he just needs to log more time on the FM3 and he could change his mind. :) Conscientious guy though - and responds to most of the comments with a ♥️ or a 👍 - and sometimes a quick comment. Good content-creator.

Back
Top Bottom