AFIII Joe Satriani "Summer Song" solo cover

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
If you’re old enough like me, you might remember back in the early 90s that a commercial for the Sony Walkman used to have the Joe Satriani song “Summer Song” as the background music. I got a guitar for my 13th birthday(that’ll be 27 years ago in a few days), and Joe was a huge inspiration to me as a teenager and I would spend countless hours trying to learn his music. This song always made me smile, it was just a great song for my favorite time of the year, summer time! This was one of the songs I played at my graduation from the Atlanta Institute of Music and it’s been many years since I played it again, so after doing another Satch song with one of my students I wanted to see how close I could get to his fantastic tone using my Axe-Fx III and Suhr Modern and came up with this. So here’s the solo section to that great song, it’s not note for note but I had a blast trying to recreate some of that initial magic which drew me to Joe’s amazing playing in the first place! I haven’t finished recording the whole song yet, but wanted to share this bit as it was a lot of fun to play! I'm using the Solo 100 Lead and a couple different Ownhammer cabs(i'll post screen shots below). I turned up the gain for the solo, the melody is using the same patch but Input Drive will be around 2.45ish.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 4.45.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 4.45.09 PM.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 174
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 4.45.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 4.45.20 PM.png
    359.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
If you’re old enough like me, you might remember back in the early 90s that a commercial for the Sony Walkman used to have the Joe Satriani song “Summer Song” as the background music. I got a guitar for my 13th birthday(that’ll be 27 years ago in a few days), and Joe was a huge inspiration to me as a teenager and I would spend countless hours trying to learn his music. This song always made me smile, it was just a great song for my favorite time of the year, summer time! This was one of the songs I played at my graduation from the Atlanta Institute of Music and it’s been many years since I played it again, so after doing another Satch song with one of my students I wanted to see how close I could get to his fantastic tone using my Axe-Fx III and Suhr Modern and came up with this. So here’s the solo section to that great song, it’s not note for note but I had a blast trying to recreate some of that initial magic which drew me to Joe’s amazing playing in the first place! I haven’t finished recording the whole song yet, but wanted to share this bit as it was a lot of fun to play! I'm using the Solo 100 Lead and a couple different Ownhammer cabs(i'll post screen shots below). I turned up the gain for the solo, the melody is using the same patch but Input Drive will be around 2.45ish.

That’s just awesome man you are killing it!
When I grow up I want to be able to play like that;)
Holy cow that is awesome Outstanding guitar skills and that sound is spot on :cool::D
Love that song...

Back
Top Bottom