Joe Robinson at 16 yrs Old- Great Story! Killer player

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, I remember the posts about Joe Robinson , last year, I think. Amazing guitar player, plays anything and everything. Came across a video where he explained how he won Australia's Got Talent @ 16 yrs old. The cool part is from the very first audition he "refused" to sign Sony's (and others) contract. He thought he would be thrown out. They called him at home, pestered him saying he needed to sign. He stood his ground and said, nope, I am going to Nashville. Do what you must. So, he was so popular on the show they had no choice but to let him play or else they would be exposed for the , well you know. He didn't say that, I am saying that.
The youtube video where he tells the story is easy to find, if you want. How I won AGT, Joe Robinson etc, etc!

Joe is so good. I think you're probably thinking of my thread as I've evangelized him here.

I'm betting he got advice from Tommy Emmanuel on that contract stuff ;)

Yeah, Tommy's influence is on full display here certainly. Tommy is one of a kind though. I hope the kid can develop his own voice, it's not really possible to succeed as a #2 in someone's footsteps. That's where most child prodigies get stuck. "Learn to play like Tommy Emmanuel", but guess what, Tommy Emmanuel is still alive, and he's still writing and performing music.

That said, I can relate to what he's saying. I grew up in a tiny shithole of a town, and growing up I thought I would never amount to anything because of that alone. Did OK tho, against all odds.

Yeah, Tommy's influence is on full display here certainly. Tommy is one of a kind though. I hope the kid can develop his own voice, it's not really possible to succeed as a #2 in someone's footsteps. That's where most child prodigies get stuck. "Learn to play like Tommy Emmanuel", but guess what, Tommy Emmanuel is still alive, and he's still writing and performing music.

That said, I can relate to what he's saying. I grew up in a tiny shithole of a town, and growing up I thought I would never amount to anything because of that alone. Did OK tho, against all odds.
Have you listened to much of his music? He completely has his own voice, literally (he's a great singer) and figuratively.

You can definitely hear the influence even today, but he has been primarily doing electric guitar and vocals for a long time.

He's 29 now so that video is almost half a lifetime away ;)

My first experience with Joe was when a friend sent me a video link for Flaming Arches.

Here's a thread I posted almost 5 years ago. Check out the video there:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/joe-robinson.114425/

Quite obviously I have not heard his other music. I'll check him out, thanks for pointing this out.
Yes, your right, he does the Tommy\Chet stuff extremely well.......But, he really does just play anything- He was unknown to me until UG posted about him!

Back
Top Bottom