Joe Bonamassa Fractal or dis?

Gosh, my dad can beat up your dad. Hopefully this BS thread will be closed.

The spirit of this is true.

Feeling a little sad that JB gets run down because he is not completely on the FAS bandwagon here.

Moving to the lounge, since this really isn't about anything meaningful.

Edit: I am not a huge JB fan. I like his work (Sloe Gin, a few others, and great guitar work on Black Country Communion), but this thread is pure Internet pile on noise.

The spirit of this is true.

Feeling a little sad that JB gets run down because he is not completely on the FAS bandwagon here.

Moving to the lounge, since this really isn't about anything meaningful.

he's not getting dissed here at all. I don't see anyone denying that he can play, knows his gear and owns a ton of it. And no reference to the FAS bandwagon at all. I did follow the guy on facebook for a while. Until the Merch Spam got unbearable

he's not getting dissed here at all. I don't see anyone denying that he can play, knows his gear and owns a ton of it. And no reference to the FAS bandwagon at all. I did follow the guy on facebook for a while. Until the Merch Spam got unbearable
OH BS man.

You've read every post in the thread and really feel he hasn't been "dissed" in any of the comments?
there's one single obvious dis about him being a fire breathing douchebag. There's another to the effect that he ripped off SRV, but I don't see it. And who hasn't? But that's about it. In a thread over 7 pages. The majority of people give props to him and his chops. Even the ones who don't consider themselves 'fans'.

(not counting the french posts; je ne parle pas bien francais)

...anyway, he's a big boy, he'l llive

there's one single obvious dis about him being a fire breathing douchebag. There's another to the effect that he ripped off SRV, but I don't see it. And who hasn't? But that's about it. In a thread over 7 pages. The majority of people give props to him and his chops. Even the ones who don't consider themselves 'fans'.

(not counting the french posts; je ne parle pas bien francais)

...anyway, he's a big boy, he'l llive
You forgot one, YOU "He gets credited for awesome tone, but at least to my ears that's nowhere near as divine as let's say Derek Trucks. Or as vocal as Walter Trout, as piercing and expressive as Albert Collins... and all of those guys aren't so focused on the gear either"

Why is that needed. Come on man, get over it. It is what it is. Jeeezzzz!

You forgot one, YOU "He gets credited for awesome tone, but at least to my ears that's nowhere near as divine as let's say Derek Trucks. Or as vocal as Walter Trout, as piercing and expressive as Albert Collins... and all of those guys aren't so focused on the gear either"

Why is that needed. Come on man, get over it. It is what it is. Jeeezzzz!
Dude, Iā€™m so over it, like you wouldnā€™t believe. ..
And itā€™s not a dis either. If you chose to read the first part of my post you would have noticed that I do in fact give him credit for his chops, knowledge and collection.

I feel thatā€™s pretty balanced. Why is it that you canā€™t handle a little critique of the guy?

That main penta line he does, he stole from Eric's tone album. The groupings of 5 with the resolve on the octave above. Then he does the arpeggios that basically outline a chord without the third. All of the language he got Johnson. Now Eric got alot of language from British rock guys and Hendrix, but he made it very his own. When I hear Joe play, I hear EJ - Tones, Ah Via, et al. It is good playing - no doubt just not original esp the ZZ Top covers!

Totally agreed. First time I heard him I was like, ā€œOh this dude is hackinā€™ EJ licks!ā€, but really, there arenā€™t a lot of well-known guys doing that, so I donā€™t really mind. I rip off Cantrell, Gilmour, Vai and Zakk Wylde every chance I get, so who am I to say anything?

Iā€™d go see him sometime. His music doesnā€™t do much for me, though I do really dig that ā€Ballad Of John Henryā€ or whatever itā€™s called and I dug whatever Black Country Communion (is that the name? WIth Hughes and Sherinian) music I heard, he just hasnā€™t grabbed me as a ā€œMan, you gotta listen to this guy more!ā€

For anyone who may be feeling negative feelings regarding Joeā€™s wiseass remarks towards Fractal; take a breath. Itā€™s ok. Look at what youā€™ve got around you and find gratitude in the fact that your only issue right now is some guy you donā€™t know and most likely never will, doesnā€™t like a piece of gear you do.

I wouldn't say his remarks represent a judgement negative toward FAS, necessarily. I think he's making a joke based on Fractal being essentially the chronological-technological antithesis of everything he's been known to be about, gear-wise, up to this point. From that perspective, in a sense, it could be seen as acknowledging Fractal's status as the cutting edge. If I were known online for only driving classic antique cars, and I posted one day, "About to take a spin in my new Tesla!" I'm not making fun of Tesla so much as having fun with the public perception of myself I have created. I'm not necessarily saying, "Tesla bad,"or that I don't respect what they're doing (although it's not closed to that interpretation), I'm saying, "Tesla is the complete opposite of what you would expect from me."

In the end, it's all just trying to make Instagram followers keep paying attention, so, you know, basically trivial.

Last edited:
I have met Joe backstage, he let me play one of his favourite Strats, could not have been a nicer guy and he didn't know me from a bar of soap. He was kind and made time for strangers (i.e. pretty much opposite of what a lot of people are saying here about him).

I sometimes just don't get us humans. Maybe I'm from Mars! I'll go home now! :)

Dude, Iā€™m so over it, like you wouldnā€™t believe. ..
And itā€™s not a dis either. If you chose to read the first part of my post you would have noticed that I do in fact give him credit for his chops, knowledge and collection.

I feel thatā€™s pretty balanced. Why is it that you canā€™t handle a little critique of the guy?
Phil,
It's NOT about the "guy". It's about the attitude of dissing, yes dissing, any solid well known player. For what? To show Derek Trucks has bettter tone? Marvelous. You obviously just don't get it. Ok........No problem man. Peace!

Phil,
It's NOT about the "guy". It's about the attitude of dissing, yes dissing, any solid well known player. For what? To show Derek Trucks has bettter tone? Marvelous. You obviously just don't get it. Ok........No problem man. Peace!

it's just an opinion that he is not in fact the greatest Blues Revelation with the best tone ever. No need to get wound up about or wanting the thread closed.

You bring up a guitarist and offer your opinion, chances are someone will have a different one. John Petrucci gets a lot of love here; he is, by some, regarded as one of the best Prog players with amazing tone. And I agree. Now if you point out that there is a new Generation and guys like Jason Richardson or Polyphia could play circles around him, then that doesn't take anything away from my admiration for JP, but would instead prompt me to check these guys out. And then I would discover that I do like Jason Richardson but Polyphia are not my cup of tea. And no one was dissed in the process. (and I know that because it actually happened)

Yup. What's the actual value of a forum like this if everyone is stripped of, and denied sharing their
opinions, views, experiences, and preferences???

I have been in bands since a teenager and the value of tolerating a little (or a lot of!) difference is essential. Hell,
some guys hated bands/artists/musicians I loved and we still remained friends. Go figure!!

Besides, some of the zingers are funny as all get out. I may steal a couple and use them against myself! :)

Back
Top Bottom