Joe Bonamassa Fractal or dis?

Not trying to argue, but it doesn't sound like you're in the best position to judge.

Maybe take a listen to some of his studio tracks before you make a statement like that.

I'm not trying to sell you on him. I already mentioned that I don't really connect with his music, but he is a very good musician and has produced a fair amount of music that is very well respected by many guitarists and other musicians.
Well, I'm the one that clarified what I have heard and what I haven't, so that's me adding the asterisk to my thoughts on his playing.... and I expressed what I felt about what I heard. Honestly most music I don't connect with, I have very slim tastes, so I don't put much stock in my own opinion on things I don't like anyway.... But you won't hear a peep from me about it, especially if someone is just doing their thang playing from the heart, I will 100% respect that. I don't have to like it, you don't have to like it, the artist has to like it and feel it, that makes it genuine. My problem with JB is not his playing, it's his behavior, and of course I'm sure it's his negative actions that get the most press, but he's apparently more than happy to keep rolling with that. Like I said, I don't like bullies, and then that in turn makes me fired up( and I admitted maybe more than I should) on behalf of whoever is bullied. Not too long ago JB bashed anyone who uses a lot of effects, not just an opinion he was pretty scathing... even before I owned a Fractal I've owned a ton of effects, never used them much, but that still annoyed me on behalf of those that do... just let people live for crying out loud.

Let's face it most of us are older here and not fresh out of the pumpkin patch... we grew up in the days of shredders and how many times have we been in conversations about who's faster and this technique vs this and blah blah blah... I mean, I watched a video of Al Dimeola ruthlessly slam Gambale and economy picking as a lame fad that will fade away... then the very next exercise he shared he said was impossible to do alternate so he used economy picking. It's like "Cmon man!" just let people play and be themselves. By now 20-30 years later we should have all grown up a bit. I can't stand to watch anyone belittle others or stir up crap in order to make themselves feel better. As I said people with something to give generally do what they can to help other people and aren't rude about it, people with something to prove never stop acting like that... it goes for anything in life... I'm in FB groups about my profession and if someone asks a question you get the usually jerks that make fun of them and are smartasses and then you get the guys that have 70 employees and make millions being cool about it and helping.

Oh, and as far as Jb playing goes, I hope he does have some better studio leads that are meaningful, and I already said that... I'm certainly not going to scour his albums trying to find something though, maybe you can recommend your favorite?

As far as comparing him with EJ, and (over?)use of Pentatonic licks, when I first heard him, I instantly recognized total originality. Even though his music doesn't really connect with me, wow, he's inventive. Heck, I was just looking through the Lessons in GuitarPlayer, and they had this Minor Pentatonic, Eric Johnson, "fivelets" (quintuplets), lick, mixing alternate & economy picking, and it was like the notes were always staring me in the face, but the way he used them, was utterly astounding and extremely tasteful to my ears. I don't hear that at all with JB.

I'm not a huge jb fan, or hater, but I gotta ask, do any of you folks who don't see anything in his playing connect with other blues players? It's not about originality exactly, more about fully inhabiting every note, for lack of better words, and the little flourishes and details that keep it fresh.

I'm not a huge jb fan, or hater, but I gotta ask, do any of you folks who don't see anything in his playing connect with other blues players? It's not about originality exactly, more about fully inhabiting every note, for lack of better words, and the little flourishes and details that keep it fresh.

The man smoking in my avatar pic, Albert King. :)

I feel that this is one of the best things on Youtube. Have watched the
entire thing multiple times. Still notice cool things.

The genuine respect and appreciation Stevie shows, and the way Albert reciprocates it
is so cool to see. When your hero approves of you that has to be special. :)

As far as comparing him with EJ, and (over?)use of Pentatonic licks, when I first heard him, I instantly recognized total originality. Even though his music doesn't really connect with me, wow, he's inventive. Heck, I was just looking through the Lessons in GuitarPlayer, and they had this Minor Pentatonic, Eric Johnson, "fivelets" (quintuplets), lick, mixing alternate & economy picking, and it was like the notes were always staring me in the face, but the way he used them, was utterly astounding and extremely tasteful to my ears. I don't hear that at all with JB.
All the techniques you said are in the 2 links of this topic but with a huge tone and played with balls. That’s rock. Eric Johnson is not rock at all. He looks like a boring jazzy guy with his headphone, the type of guy who talk about his pick size for 2 hours or measuring the weight of his strings…. Bo-ring . I like rock n roll myself . Joe shoot his strings, play . I don’t know him at all but only 5 minutes say it all.

Yes, many. When I hear JB it’s almost like I’m listening to AI playing blues and rock licks. Every note perfect, in its perfect spot, perfectly placed. I can cut leads from all my heroes in my head and match them to what he’s playing, almost note for note.

If there’s such a thing as being a victim to over practicing and being too precise it’s him 100%.

Don’t know how there is joe and Johnson in the same sentence . The 2 guys don’t have the same feel and play at all …. One is rock, one is a fusion jazz that’s smells old furnitures

Last edited:
SRV! Jimmy Page Billy Gibbons Eric Gales

Funny that most of the posts I've seen in years past have spoken of Joe's huge skill, monster tone, and incredible licks. He takes a few shots at FAS, and he's suddenly a hack?

I guess I took it in the spirit it was most likely meant. Ribbing. (Especially with a backdrop of expensive vintage amps...). The ribbing probably originates with the huge amount of folks around him who say 'have you tried the Fractal?' After a while, I"m sure it's more annoying than anything.

Joe will NEVER go to digital. It's his thing with amps. Not sure why anyone would care.

Ron

I‘m a JB fan. I’ll admit it. I have a couple of his albums, a dvd and I’ve seen him in concert a couple times and enjoyed both. He’s making a great living in an industry where most don’t. I met him at the Dallas guitar show one year and had a nice conversation. He seems like a nice guy in person.
I also agree about Andy Timmons. Super nice guy.

Sounded tongue-in-cheek to me.

Some of his playing does sound really derived, but kudos to the guy for being successful at what he does.

I think he's interesting. I love the first Black Country Communion album, but mainly because of Glenn Hughes (but the mastering is criminally hot, and I can't believe Bonamassa has used Kevin Shirley so much). I thought his first solo album was cool, especially that Jethro Tull cover, but some of his later stuff just sounds like music for a truck commercial or something. I've tried to listen to every one of his albums, and I'm just very on / off with his writing. And I do think it's totally unnecessary for him to sing. He could hire someone who's dedicated their life to singing, like he has done with playing, and I think that would be a ton more awesome.

Funny that most of the posts I've seen in years past have spoken of Joe's huge skill, monster tone, and incredible licks. He takes a few shots at FAS, and he's suddenly a hack?

I guess I took it in the spirit it was most likely meant. Ribbing. (Especially with a backdrop of expensive vintage amps...). The ribbing probably originates with the huge amount of folks around him who say 'have you tried the Fractal?' After a while, I"m sure it's more annoying than anything.

Joe will NEVER go to digital. It's his thing with amps. Not sure why anyone would care.

Ron
I've seen the animosity grow over the last few years on other sites. I think he has just become the epitome of cork sniffing amongst guitar players.

I've seen the animosity grow over the last few years on other sites. I think he has just become the epitome of cork sniffing amongst guitar players.

I guess I still don't mind. It's not like other artists don't have the same attitude. And PLENTY of normal guitar players who turn their noses up.

Again, why is his opinion important? And why does his opinion make anyone defensive?

We have the best gear in the world at our fingertips. Don't really need a guy who has hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on amps and guitars to validate what we hear.

IMO.

Back
Top Bottom