Joe Bonamassa Fractal or dis?

As I am not expert in blues/country guys, who is the direct influence ? Don’t see Eric Johnson here .
There is definitely an EJ influence in his playing. He likes to play blazing pentatonic quintuplet patterns, which is a major thing from Eric.

But he doesn't always do it, so it just means you haven't listened enough ;)

I've tried to get into JB and I bought a couple albums. There's some good stuff on there but it mostly doesn't connect with me for whatever reason.

As far as those complaining about his merch or ticket costs, don't pay them if they're more than you think they should be...

If he wasn't getting paid those rates he wouldn't be able to charge that much, so it's just supply and demand.

Joe has stated MANY times that EJ was a huge influenece on him.................
I also think it is PURE BS that people need to see his line of amps. They are just use to seeing them, period. Need is a whole different ball game.

As far as those complaining about his merch or ticket costs, don't pay them if they're more than you think they should be...

If he wasn't getting paid those rates he wouldn't be able to charge that much, so it's just supply and demand.
I was just disappointed that with almost 10,000 items I couldn't find a Joe bonamassa toilet plunger, toilet paper, or urinal cake. 😂🤣😂

I think Glenn Hughes has a big part in that.

One thing you have to give to Joe is he's always working and collaborating with amazing musicians. As someone said his work with Beth Hart was great. His album, Driving Towards the Daylight with Brad Whitford guesting on it is a killer album. Lot's of covers on that one, but the best 2 songs on the album are originals.

I think Joe likes to poke the bear and generate some internet outrage from time to time. I believe he probably uses the word Fractal to by synonymous with "modeler", much as most North Americans use the word "Kleenex" when they want a tissue paper.

For me, Joe shines more in a group/band setting than being "the guy." The show I saw him play
in Salt Lake City was with BCC on their only USA tour. Kind of dumb luck as we were on vacation
and just fell into the show. Hughes was mesmerizing. Just owned the stage and has pipes for days.
Bonham on drums. It was a GREAT show. Not sure I would say the same thing, though, if it was strictly
a Joe B concert.

If I remember correctly he was ripping on a couple of basic Marshall DSLs. I ended up catching the
Dunlop slide he chucked into the audience.

Here's some crappy video I took of the show. :)

Anyone that can play a guitar as good as JB can sound as good as JB playing through a properly amplified Fractal FRFR/PA direct rig!

I'll put @2112 up against about anyone (even though he's obviously not the type to participate in an "I'm the greatest guitarist" contest
even though he's well worthy of being a contestant IMHO!!!)

What I mean by unoriginal is his note choice. A person can play for ten minutes and never play anything "important"... I will admit I haven't heard him a ton, and what I have heard was all live and he was just improvising a bunch of repetitious noodles without any spice or even butter and salt on them... Ain't nobody got time for that. Maybe he has an original song with a developing solo that's moving and that's great... but you can't pay me to sit and watch a bad cup-o-noodles.

Eric Johnson is a humble classy guy. I had walked into my local GC once and there was sign up saying he would be there for a clinic in about 20 minutes...wait, what? Of course they did nothing to advertise it and no one showed up. I stuck around to support and meet him of course and I was one of about 5 people, I felt so bad for him. But I got to sit next to him for a minute and shake his hand etc. Eric tends to noodle more live as well, but he is still way more expressive and moving, and of course some of his studio leads are legendary.

Last edited:
Funny cause just the 2 minutes in his Instagram video he played very tasty licks . Rare are the guys that convicts me so fast . I play … and watch and listen so much guitar that I m not easily impressed, but he got something . And I don’t like/listen to this scene and guys playing with sunglasses . But I admit it .

He is one of the most unoriginal players I have ever heard

I will admit I haven't heard him a ton, and what I have heard was all live and he was just improvising a bunch of repetitious noodles
Not trying to argue, but it doesn't sound like you're in the best position to judge.

Maybe take a listen to some of his studio tracks before you make a statement like that.

I'm not trying to sell you on him. I already mentioned that I don't really connect with his music, but he is a very good musician and has produced a fair amount of music that is very well respected by many guitarists and other musicians.

I ve watched this video too. What I like is that the tone and his solo is “metal” in a way . No he doesn’t joke at all . Respect man . If all the “famous” guitarist played like that before being famous 🙄

I dont get it. I try to get it. Dude can play, but its all mimicking other players. I dont get any original feel or vibe from him. Comes off as a copycat. I think hes actually kind of a cool guy, maybe one day itll click for me...
That's exactly what I thought the first time I went to check out what all the hype was about. Sorry, not a fan. And if he's in any way buying gear to push up the value, then I'm even less of a fan. Just my own personal opinion.

That's exactly what I thought the first time I went to check out what all the hype was about. Sorry, not a fan. And if he's in any way buying gear to push up the value, then I'm even less of a fan. Just my own personal opinion.
I think he buys the gear because he is a huge fan of it and because he can afford to.

He wrote a monthly column in Guitar Player or Guitar World magazine for a while all about his "hunts".

Back
Top Bottom