Joe Bonamassa Fractal or dis?

Rush R40+ movie I just saw they joke that there are 45 female Rush fans.

JB’s ticket prices are high enough I’ve never seen him play. I can see a festival of blues bands for days for half the money.

Yup. Which is why Joe portraying himself as a "regular ol' Joe" smacks of being more than a little disingenuous
at this point.

His ticket prices are higher because he's covering everything. There's no promoter covering booking etc. He rents all of the venues himself etc, etc. All of the risk of the shows and tours is on him.

I dont get it. I try to get it. Dude can play, but its all mimicking other players. I dont get any original feel or vibe from him. Comes off as a copycat. I think hes actually kind of a cool guy, maybe one day itll click for me...

I dont get it. I try to get it. Dude can play, but its all mimicking other players. I dont get any original feel or vibe from him. Comes off as a copycat. I think hes actually kind of a cool guy, maybe one day itll click for me...
He is one of the most unoriginal players I have ever heard, and there is zero need to talk smack if someone is truly competent and great. Truly great musicians, or business people, or anyone in whatever walk of life can usually stop the BS and aren't afraid to give of themselves. See Steve Vai for example... he spent much of his covid down time trying to put out videos that give back to his fans full of advice. Same with Satch... usually very giving in his interviews and the one time I met him he was super nice to me and let me bug him with any question I had. Those guys have nothing to prove to anyone and have left their mark on the music world, just like EVH. JB is best fit for elevator music, an expert on never playing anything important and gives me ear fatigue in record time. I mean, this is only giving him that attention he ordered.... :rolleyes:

This thread reminds me of the John Mayer thread where some folks voiced their displeasure of his music, shortly there after Matt welcomed Mayer to the Fractal team. :grinning:

Joe's announcement is probably next week, LOL!

Welcome to the team Joe! Enjoy your stay.
I doubt that simply because Cliff already weighed in on it and seemingly knows nothing about it. I admit maybe I let it bother me too much, but I hate bullies and people who talk smack and stir up stuff for no reason, especially when the truth is they fall short themselves... I feel Cliff has nothing to prove and has provided a great product, interacts with his customers on a great level, handles himself with class and Fractal doesn't deserve it. I dunno, I just think life is better if we try to act with some class rather than act a fool every chance we get. Life's hard enough without trivial BS being thrown into the mix... even if it's just someone amusing themselves who really has time for it.

Don't know for JB but a professional high level guitarist in France I know via FB criticizes FAS (sooooo too much compression, doesn't come close to a real tube amp....blah blah blah) but always ends, after having sold, to buy another one from time to time....in the mean time he uses some unit with cab sims....pfffff.
I have no doubt; JB keeps an FXIII in some higly secret place. But of course for his image the cult of vintage amps and guitars is a good thing. Howbeit he's a great artist but curiously I way prefer his albums on his life performances.

Edit: except his concerts with Beth Hart.

Last edited:
Don't know for JB but a professional high level guitarist in France I know via FB criticizes FAS (sooooo too much compression, doesn't come close to a real tube amp....blah blah blah
Ca m étonne pas . Les 3,4 tocards qui s affichent en France passent leur temps à dénigrer les autres produits, et pourtant ils jouent avec des pelles à merde asiatique dans des Marshall pourave et autres .
C est pas moi qu en dit du mal toujours . Laisse les parler, c est des putes à clic . Si tu as un minimum d expérience en amplis, tu peux pas dire qu’un fractal c est pas bien .

He is one of the most unoriginal players

As I am not expert in blues/country guys, who is the direct influence ? Don’t see Eric Johnson here .
I have listen to many guitarists in my life and the few minutes listening to bonamassa , this time I said “wha” . This guy don’t joke at all. Super fluid , nice vibrato, big high gain sound . And it’s not my cup of tea normally . I don’t like Mayer for example. Maybe it’s just a matter of tastes .

Ca m étonne pas . Les 3,4 tocards qui s affichent en France passent leur temps à dénigrer les autres produits, et pourtant ils jouent avec des pelles à merde asiatique dans des Marshall pourave et autres .
C est pas moi qu en dit du mal toujours . Laisse les parler, c est des putes à clic . Si tu as un minimum d expérience en amplis, tu peux pas dire qu’un fractal c est pas bien .
C'est casse-couille ces articles sur la énième pedale a disto avec cette superbe modif du supercopain expert (faut bien qu'il bosse le copain...). En bref, il n'y a qu'eux qui savent blablabla. Après, le gars dont je parle c'est un coeur et un super grateux; je ne peux pas marcher dans son ombre de ce coté là en tout cas !

C'est casse-couille ces articles sur la énième pedale a disto avec cette superbe modif du supercopain expert (faut bien qu'il bosse le copain...). En bref, il n'y a qu'eux qui savent blablabla. Après, le gars dont je parle c'est un coeur et un super grateux; je ne peux pas marcher dans son ombre de ce coté là en tout cas !
C est les goûts après. Chacun défend sa crémerie . Les mecs font des choix ils les défendent, mais tout peux bien donner quand tu le veux . J aime pas les gars qui critiquent les produits qu ils n utilisent pas, c est eux les pires .

C est les goûts après. Chacun défend sa crémerie . Les mecs font des choix ils les défendent, mais tout peux bien donner quand tu le veux . J aime pas les gars qui critiquent les produits qu ils n utilisent pas, c est eux les pires .
C'est çà; quand on s'y colle on y arrive avec ce qu'on a sous la main.

He's an amazing player, no doubt. But he's always struck me as a bit of a dick. Don't see why people should pay exorbitant prices to see him, just so he can add to his already massive amp and guitar collection.

Plus he's just wrong about amp modelling these days. A Marshall/Fender blended patch that has been programmed at decent volume should get most of us in the right tonal ballpark. The rest is in the fingers, as they say.

But yeah, bollocks to his opinions. Don't see why he feels the need to talk crap about stuff he doesn't use.

As I am not expert in blues/country guys, who is the direct influence ? Don’t see Eric Johnson here .
I have listen to many guitarists in my life and the few minutes listening to bonamassa , this time I said “wha” . This guy don’t joke at all. Super fluid , nice vibrato, big high gain sound . And it’s not my cup of tea normally . I don’t like Mayer for example. Maybe it’s just a matter of tastes .
That main penta line he does, he stole from Eric's tone album. The groupings of 5 with the resolve on the octave above. Then he does the arpeggios that basically outline a chord without the third. All of the language he got Johnson. Now Eric got alot of language from British rock guys and Hendrix, but he made it very his own. When I hear Joe play, I hear EJ - Tones, Ah Via, et al. It is good playing - no doubt just not original esp the ZZ Top covers!

LOL

Mud, this is not some Google translation ! You really made me laugh ! 👍🤘

Last edited:
Black Country Communion is awesome also.
I think Glenn Hughes has a big part in that.

One thing you have to give to Joe is he's always working and collaborating with amazing musicians. As someone said his work with Beth Hart was great. His album, Driving Towards the Daylight with Brad Whitford guesting on it is a killer album. Lot's of covers on that one, but the best 2 songs on the album are originals.

I think Joe likes to poke the bear and generate some internet outrage from time to time. I believe he probably uses the word Fractal to by synonymous with "modeler", much as most North Americans use the word "Kleenex" when they want a tissue paper.

Back
Top Bottom