Joe Bonamassa Cranked Tweed Deluxe / Overrated Special Tone

Haha! How strange, I started researching that pedal yesterday cos I wanted to get that sound on my AFX too, but you've done it for me. :) Thanks for sharing!!

Bummed I can't try this at the mo as I have too much on, but will try later.

Even better is that you have the actual pedal to compare it against! How close is the drive in the AFX to the original? I wasn't sure if there was a base drive block that has the right schematic for that particular pedal.

What amp did you use? I've got some nice results out of the SuperTweed that FAS created.

Did you see this?

Yeah, this is the video that I based it on. I duplicated his settings on my production Overrated Special. The audio is pretty distorted here, so it was a bit of a guess as to how it all sounded in-room. Additionally, as far as I could gather, there is no Axe-Fx amp model for what Joe is using the most these days. I used the Deluxe Tweed model, which -- as I understand it -- is based on an earlier version of the real amp in question, only the early version has more limited controls and a somewhat different character. The Axe-Fx model notes the "extreme blocking distortion at or near maximum gain," which has the effect of sounding a bit like a noise gate is messing with your leads. So I was trying to tweak the amp settings so that it would break up in a similar way to Joe's (which kinda sounds like it has that element of a dying fuzz sound), while not triggering the "noise gate" effect. Ultimately, I'm not sure I came all that close to Joe's sound, but it got it within the ballpark and it's a cool tone overall anyway, to me at least.

How close is the drive in the AFX to the original? I wasn't sure if there was a base drive block that has the right schematic for that particular pedal.

What amp did you use? I've got some nice results out of the SuperTweed that FAS created.
I tried the SuperTweed, but settled with the model I mentioned above. The Axe-Fx doesn't have a Green Rhino model, which is what the Overrated Special is based on / very close to, so I used the Full OD (based on a Fulltone Full-Drive) because it sounded most similar at default settings. I tweaked it for a couple minutes to get it closer, but it's not as close as I would have liked. I think it's probably entirely possible to nail the Overrated Special sound with an existing drive block, but you'd need to be reamping or something so you could really focus on matching it. It's too much of a pain to have to switch the real pedal on, play something, switch it off, turn on the drive block, play it again, tweak, turn it back off, compare, etc... over and over again.

Yeah, what Simon said - maybe you share the Blocks of the preset or some screenshots?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Yeah, this is the video that I based it on. I duplicated his settings on my production Overrated Special. The audio is pretty distorted here, so it was a bit of a guess as to how it all sounded in-room. Additionally, as far as I could gather, there is no Axe-Fx amp model for what Joe is using the most these days. I used the Deluxe Tweed model, which -- as I understand it -- is based on an earlier version of the real amp in question, only the early version has more limited controls and a somewhat different character. The Axe-Fx model notes the "extreme blocking distortion at or near maximum gain," which has the effect of sounding a bit like a noise gate is messing with your leads. So I was trying to tweak the amp settings so that it would break up in a similar way to Joe's (which kinda sounds like it has that element of a dying fuzz sound), while not triggering the "noise gate" effect. Ultimately, I'm not sure I came all that close to Joe's sound, but it got it within the ballpark and it's a cool tone overall anyway, to me at least.

I tried the SuperTweed, but settled with the model I mentioned above. The Axe-Fx doesn't have a Green Rhino model, which is what the Overrated Special is based on / very close to, so I used the Full OD (based on a Fulltone Full-Drive) because it sounded most similar at default settings. I tweaked it for a couple minutes to get it closer, but it's not as close as I would have liked. I think it's probably entirely possible to nail the Overrated Special sound with an existing drive block, but you'd need to be reamping or something so you could really focus on matching it. It's too much of a pain to have to switch the real pedal on, play something, switch it off, turn on the drive block, play it again, tweak, turn it back off, compare, etc... over and over again.

For sure! you did a great job and nice licks BTW! I saw that video a couple of weeks ago and thought "Man! I wan't that pedal!"

I think it's probably entirely possible to nail the Overrated Special sound with an existing drive block, but you'd need to be reamping or something so you could really focus on matching it. It's too much of a pain to have to switch the real pedal on, play something, switch it off, turn on the drive block, play it again, tweak, turn it back off, compare, etc... over and over again.

I've never tried, but I'd imagine a good way to do this would be to put the pedal into the loop of the Axe then toggle between two scenes, one with the loop on and drive block off, the other with the drive on and loop off. If you then set a looper in front of them both and recorded some guitar, then play it back, you could toggle back and forth between the two scenes tweaking the drive block to get a match. Again, never tried, but it occurred to me when I read you post.

Back
Top Bottom