Jmpre-1 tonestack

Sturla

Inspired
I've been tinkering with the (actual) Marshall jmp-1 preamp lately, for a "backup"-rig. I think the OD1 channel sounds great through a greenback speaker. I understand that it's tonestack is fixed and that the B/M/T/P controls is really an additional EQ.

Question is, in the axeFx how should the B/M/T/P controls be set to resemble the original fixed tonestack? Anyone done any research?

I get a pretty exact replication of the tone of my original JMP-1 using the formula I posted some time ago: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/jmp-1-over-the-brit-pre-anyone-using.124628/#post-1482447

Don't forget that the Axe-Fx models a power amp, too, which colors the sound. So for a direct comparison of the preamp section with your real JMP-1 turn power amp modeling in the Axe-Fx off (either set supply sag to 0 in the specific preset or navigate to SETUP: Global Settings: Config and change power amp modeling to off globally).

I might have misunderstood. I was thinking that to replicate the jmp's behaviour, the knobs should be permanent in a certain setting (for example bass 3, middle 5 etc), and the further tone shaping would be done in the eq-tab.

It sounds pretty much spot on in my experience

I agree, of course. Sounds 100% right. But what were your approach dialling the tones in the ax8?

I’m probably just over complicating the fixed tonestack stuff...

I agree, of course. Sounds 100% right. But what were your approach dialling the tones in the ax8?

I’m probably just over complicating the fixed tonestack stuff...

I'd assume 0 on Axe = - 6 on JMP-1 while 10 on Axe = +6 on the JMP-1. Honestly I prefer the Axe controls as they give you finer control over B/M/T/P; Ifurthermore I prefer the old Brit Pre to the JMPre models AND the JMP-1, so go figure :p

Back
Top Bottom