JM45 is AMAZING!!!!

sprada

Inspired
I never cared much for this model, but now (since quantum or G3, don't know) it's one of my favorite models.

Using it for cleans with a Tele and the micro boost for a little extra. It's beautifull.

However, I'm having a hard time pushing the gain up into hard rock territory without getting flubby. Bass is at 0 already :)
I never played a real JTM but maybe it's just not meant to be used that way.

Cutting stuff from the low end with the amp eq page seems to take away some of the character.

Any ideas?

Cliff: "They had no Master Volumes so people rarely got the Drive past 3.00 since it would melt your face. Without the specter of having your skin flayed off as is afforded by a model of the amp, the temptation is to turn the Drive way up. When you do this the low notes get very muddy. Single notes can form an almost perfect square wave which will sound like a synthesizer."

Use Cut, or add a Treble Booster or something like that, to control the low end.

Yeah read that seconds after posting it..
Was trying to use a TS80 to boost the gain but it messes the tone.
Will try that later.

That amp was popular during the era of Hendrix and Clapton, man.
Trying to get it to do hard rock might not be worth your while.

I agree it's badass for cleans and edge of breakup stuff, though!

That amp was popular during the era of Hendrix and Clapton, man.
Trying to get it to do hard rock might not be worth your while.

I agree it's badass for cleans and edge of breakup stuff, though!

+1

With tons of amazing hard rock amps like the Carol Ann's, the Cameron, the Friedman's, and then all the great Marshall models like the Plexi's, JCM's, JMP1's etc, it doesn't make much sense trying to squeeze hard rock tones out of an amp that was never really designed to provide them.

JTM45 is a fantastic early Marshall model, but there is a reason everyone went to plexi's etc with the development of higher gain, hard rock styles in the 70's and beyond

JTM45 was a copy (sort of) of the '59 Bassman. It was originally intended to be a Bass amp. It wasn't a very good one. But it has a ton of bass. I play mine with the bass on zero and still have to roll off alot more with EQ.

I have a Germino Classic 45. A copy of the JTM45. Bass on zero....always.

Exactly. It was definitely not meant to be a high gain amp.

One from our very own Burgs:

Yes, IMO, the Axe FX model can definitely sound as good. And, I do change the power tubes to KT66, and I mess around with the Transformer Match.

one thing you can do is use the fet boost in front instead of the micro boost. set the "low cut" param to some value between 200 and 500hz. you can also increase the mid in the eq section. look and see what the tonestack frequency is in the amp block and set the mid frequency in the drive block to the same value

also with bass on zero, try putting the mid and treble controls on 10. make sure the bright switch is on and dial in the amount of top end with the pres control

my fave amp since fw 19, and I use it as rock amp. I love the flubby and nasty low end. Gains on 8, Bass O, mids 7, treble 4, presence 3, and I even hit it with a micro boost. Xplodin' sounds.
And with the gains on lower settings, it works too :D

I also use the KT66's with this amp.

Cutting stuff from the low end with the amp eq page seems to take away some of the character.

I've noticed this too. As someone mentioned, the 'Low cut' helps tighten that up a bit, but I feel like it takes away some of what makes it distinctive. Still working on it, but there's a very fine line with this amp...

It's my main amp model for the current project I'm involved in, but I tend to use it for clean and slightly driven tones w/ (typically) a Les Paul. I either hit it w/ a drive (usually a Klon) or switch to amp Y where I use one of the plexi models for more of a driven tone. I love how the JTM45 handles cleans using humbuckers. We'll see if it remains #1 for me w/ Quantum.. so far, I'm finding more amp models that work for me now than in past FW's. Quantum is a massive improvement.. off the charts..

+1

With tons of amazing hard rock amps like the Carol Ann's, the Cameron, the Friedman's, and then all the great Marshall models like the Plexi's, JCM's, JMP1's etc, it doesn't make much sense trying to squeeze hard rock tones out of an amp that was never really designed to provide them.

JTM45 is a fantastic early Marshall model, but there is a reason everyone went to plexi's etc with the development of higher gain, hard rock styles in the 70's and beyond

Mike Ness from Social Distortion uses a modded Fender Bassman by the guy at Divided by 13 amps. If the JTM45 is based on a Fender Bassman, then I would think that both models in the Axe-Fx could be tinkered with to achieve the same sound. Maybe? I'd be curious to try it out the next time that I'm around my Axe-Fx II.

Back
Top Bottom