Bug? JM45 and JM45 JUMP sound horrible for low E and a strings (not a bug)

alvinlee

When I play any note on the low e or the a string the sound is "digital" like from a synthesizer. It is very distorted and has a resonance at the a on the 5th fret of the low E string.

I do not think that the original is sounding like that.

I am using a les paul 59 cc

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how the JTM-45 sounds with humbuckers and Drive above a certain point.

I had the privilege last week to listen to a solo'd guitar track (stem) by some guy called Jimi Hendrix.
Song was called Voodoo Chile or something. When he hits the low strings, going through a Plexi or JTM, it's all buzz and fuzzy and wooly.

It's the exactly the opposite of digital. It's a true retro vintage relic'd analog recreation.

That's how those amps sound. They had no Master Volumes so people rarely got the Drive past 3.00 since it would melt your face. Without the specter of having your skin flayed off as is afforded by a model of the amp, the temptation is to turn the Drive way up. When you do this the low notes get very muddy. Single notes can form an almost perfect square wave which will sound like a synthesizer.

That's how those amps sound. They had no Master Volumes so people rarely got the Drive past 3.00 since it would melt your face. Without the specter of having your skin flayed off as is afforded by a model of the amp, the temptation is to turn the Drive way up. When you do this the low notes get very muddy. Single notes can form an almost perfect square wave which will sound like a synthesizer.

You don't need my validation, but in my experience, it is true, you can crush the front end of a vintage amp with a high gain pedal, or in this case the amp's drive input level, and get that farted out synth buzzsawish weird tone.

Ok, thank you. So I have to be glad there is an axe fx around - my face is still in good shape.:pride:

I just watched the video linked in the wiki and even if it seams the guy is playing very loud there are no resonance frequencies notable- but it is a stratocaster.

Thanks and regards

Very cool.

There are quite a few videos of JTM45 amps on youtube. I think a big part of it is turning the bass down (use the bass cut). But, for direct monitoring/live playing, turn the Axe up. That helps to eliminate the muddiness.

Reactions: Rex
Awesome. I know i've had this problem in the past and wondered if it was a bug. Thanks for clarifying.

Hmm, just an idea: maybe these types of amp-specific issues (no master vol ... low notes get very muddy as you turn the master drive up ... sounds almost like a synth/sq wave) ... should be included in the Wiki amp block descriptions.

Back
Top Bottom