Bug? JM45 and JM45 JUMP sound horrible for low E and a strings (not a bug)

+1. The Bass Cut works wonders for cleaning up all sorts of muddy amps.
Exactly... used to do this all the time with my actual JTM 45 as well, using a GEQ or TIM pedal, etc. I prefer other amps in the Axe FX to the JTM 45 though, for that "JTM 45" tone.. so to speak. It tends to get a little thin once I've cut the lows to where they clean up enough.

Same thing happens on the Tweed Deluxe model when you crank it, and it's just like that with my real amp. Made me realize that's why they invented the tele bridge PU so there would be enough high end that it would still cut a little on the bottom when all that clipping was taking place.

This is also the reason that treble boosters were developed.

It's amazing how much low end you can cut with a pedal in front of an old Marshall when it's cranked up like that.

Sounds like arse at low volume but gets into a great sweet spot if you can stand the SPL and crank it.

That is still a standard rig for many guitarists; a vintage amp, set on the edge of break up, with a pedal or two in front to shape tone, and ad drive/boost.

And, you can do it with the Axe FX. Magic!

Yes, at low volume, some models will be muddy when cranked, almost as if they lose headroom. (See the multiple discussions about Fletcher/Munson. It's amazing how much of a role that plays.) Before I understood better, I wondered if the output volume is controlling the sample rate, but certainly the output volume is post DA converter. It's apparently more about the need for volume due to F/M curve.

I actually enjoy the sound of the vintage non-master models cranked when the Axe is turned up. It's very similar to the real thing, minus bleeding eardrums, and I'm not using anything other than the IR's included with the Axe (yet...).

My question is: "How does the JTM45 model fair when cranked for recording (where the Fletcher/Munson curve is a non-issue)?".

It's amazing how much low end you can cut with a pedal in front of an old Marshall when it's cranked up like that.

Sounds like arse at low volume but gets into a great sweet spot if you can stand the SPL and crank it.

Back
Top Bottom