Jimmy Page Royal Albert Hall prest ?

clad666_jack

Hello everybody !

I've a basic level with my Axe Fx and I've difficulty to find a close sound like the famous gig of Royal Albert Hall on 1970.
If I don't say mistake, during this live, he has using a custom Hiwatt amp.
Can you help me to make a good sound ?

Thanks in advance friends !
Kevin

1/2 of that tone is in the guitar as well.

BHR is right. Crank a Hiwatt into cab of choice, boost mids, use the same type of guitar with lipstick pickups. You can even dual amp with one of the Plexi's.

Oh, and have Jimmy Page's fingers. That tone to me is sloppy and WAY overdriven (I'll bet if you played a chord it would sound...messy), but use low output pickups, use of the volume knob will get you there.

I said crank it...that tone (and vague feedback whine) doesn't come from bedroom volume.

1/2 of that tone is in the guitar as well.

BHR is right. Crank a Hiwatt into cab of choice, boost mids, use the same type of guitar with lipstick pickups. You can even dual amp with one of the Plexi's.

Oh, and have Jimmy Page's fingers. That tone to me is sloppy and WAY overdriven (I'll bet if you played a chord it would sound...messy), but use low output pickups, use of the volume knob will get you there.

I said crank it...that tone (and vague feedback whine) doesn't come from bedroom volume.

There is conflicting info online if you Google about that, now historic, show(s).

Knowing what we know as Fractalites :), the all important cab choice will be a big factor.

Photos I've seen show 2 HiWatt heads and Marshall cabs. That's where the speculation starts :) Some consensus is around the heads are modified and the cabinets are loaded with Celesitions. Also, more speculation, the heads are cascaded into each other and no fuzz box, tonebender, etc. was used.

I can buy off on the cab hearsay. The tones definitely have a Marshall vibe to them, but not as murky as a dimed Plexi. Also there are examples of soft picking and or guitar volume roll off that do seem like there was no fuzz box. You can roll off on a fuzz, but most of them have a very distinct crackle when played like that... you don't really hear that in the posted vid where he backs off on the picking.

Who knows but Jimmy himself and he might not even remember or care about the minutiae :)

Hello everybody !

I've a basic level with my Axe Fx and I've difficulty to find a close sound like the famous gig of Royal Albert Hall on 1970.
If I don't say mistake, during this live, he has using a custom Hiwatt amp.
Can you help me to make a good sound ?

Thanks in advance friends !
Kevin

I definitely haven't found a decent RAH Page tone in the AXE. Not the Dano specific tone, but the whole show. WGG off of the Coda album is a pretty solid example. I've been begging for a Page Custom Hiwatt in the Wish section for years now haha. It really is a unique tone and not achievable with the current Hiwatt in the unit (which I am not a huge fan of TBH).

Last edited:
I got a RAH pedal a few years back - really great purchase!! I use it with my LP loaded with Duncan Antiquities. Nails that tone nicely.

Back
Top Bottom