Jimmy Page: How Stairway to Heaven was written - BBC News

Jimmy Page seems like such a sincere person. I really enjoyed watching him in 'It Might Get Loud', especially when he started playing Whole Lotta Love and Edge and Jack White were grinning ear to ear. Then when he was playing Kashmir and describing how the riff came about. It was hilarious when he was asking Edge if the 'C' was correct when Edge was playing 'I Will Follow'.

Last edited:
I saw Led Zep's first appearance in America. In December of 68. They were the opening act, followed by Spirit, and then the headliner Vanilla Fudge (they were awful). It was at the Denver Arena. Zeppelin absolutely killed it. Jimmy Page just blew me out of my seat. When Zep 1 came out, I learned every riff. Same with Zep II. Mr. Page has added so much to the vocabulary of guitar. He will always be an inspiration to me.

I saw Led Zep's first appearance in America. In December of 68. They were the opening act, followed by Spirit, and then the headliner Vanilla Fudge (they were awful). It was at the Denver Arena.

Man, I would have loved to be there! I don't think my mom would have let me out of the house though, I was only 4. :)

That must have been awesome!

I saw Led Zep's first appearance in America. In December of 68. They were the opening act, followed by Spirit, and then the headliner Vanilla Fudge (they were awful). It was at the Denver Arena. Zeppelin absolutely killed it. Jimmy Page just blew me out of my seat. When Zep 1 came out, I learned every riff. Same with Zep II. Mr. Page has added so much to the vocabulary of guitar. He will always be an inspiration to me.
..You were at the gig where Jimmy got the Stairway lick from Randy California from Spirit!!..and then you had to sit thru the 35minute version of Keep Me Hangin On............epic gig.

Cool! I'm not a major Zep fan, although I definitely appreciate the music of theirs that I am familiar with. There is certainly no denying the influence of the band, and especially Jimmy, on rock music.

Thanks for sharing.

Man, I would have loved to be there! I don't think my mom would have let me out of the house though, I was only 4.
I am the Geeze for a reason. I achieved my Geezerhood the hard way... I earned it.

It was a great concert. Nobody in the audience (at least within joint range sitting near me) had ever heard of Led Zeppelin. I remember people asking, "Who is this guy Led Zeppelin?" They were first up. I had NEVER heard anything like it. Their set consisted of most of what would become Zep 1. When Page started working the violin bow in that huge arena, it was surreal. It was the most powerful band sound I had ever heard in my life.

Led Zeppelin was one of those bands that just stayed a notch above the crowd, always a bit deeper and harder to put in a basket with everyone else. Listened to them from the very early 70s all the way to this very day. That's a long time for a band to sound relevant to a person. It speaks well to the creativity that came from those four. Page deserves all the respect in the world for his work there.

Last edited:
That song is as magical today as it was the day I first heard it as a kid in the early 70's. Watching Jimmy's proud smile was the best.

I got Led Zep 4 on vinyl for my kindergarten graduation along with Cream's Disraeli Gears, Yes's Close to the Edge, and Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced (yes I had a cool eldest brother).

I remember listening to this for the first time in headphones and having a big grin experiencing the build in the amount of instrumentation, speed, and dynamics. The solo is one of those solos that perfectly fits the song in which, no matter how much you noodle, you can't really improve upon it.

Awesome to see this even has a similar effect still on one of the masterminds of that composition.

I wish he could of done more with the Black Crows. I think that was a good fit for him. One of his interviews he states that was the most fun he had since Zeppelin..

I wonder if Eddie VH looks back and wishes he did more in those years or decade he was not heard of.

Thanks for posting.
Dare I say it.... Anybody got a solo preset to share? This is one I cant quite get right both in terms of gain structure and also FX (reverb)
Hats off to you if you have it to share. :):)

Back
Top Bottom