Jim the Pigeon

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I was checking on our frog pond to make sure the water level was okay (it's been very dry so I set up a hose and pump from the lake to keep the water level up). As I'm leaving a pigeon, of all things, walks out of the woods. I thought it was a bit strange to see a pigeon around here but whatever.

As I start walking back to the house the pigeon follows me. Uh, okay. I go back to work and my wife says "Come here and look at this". The pigeon is sitting on a rock by the front window. "Oh", I said, "that's Jim the pigeon. He followed me up from the frog pond."

We checked to make sure he could fly by charging at him and he flew off. A minute later he's back. I walked onto the patio and sat down and he comes around the corner and walks around like he owns the place looking in the windows and stuff. He's currently outside walking around on the lawn pecking at things.

He almost acts like he's someone's pet. I can walk right up to him but he won't let me touch him. He's completely unafraid of humans. I told him the nearest McDonald's is something like 20 miles away but he didn't seem to care.

As much as I'm a lover of animals (not just the cute, fluffy kind) I have a hard time not despising pigeons as rats with wings... I actually prefer rats;)

We had some the took over the eaves in the suburban home we used to live in. Nasty things that can quickly destroy a roof.

I was checking on our frog pond to make sure the water level was okay (it's been very dry so I set up a hose and pump from the lake to keep the water level up). As I'm leaving a pigeon, of all things, walks out of the woods. I thought it was a bit strange to see a pigeon around here but whatever.

As I start walking back to the house the pigeon follows me. Uh, okay. I go back to work and my wife says "Come here and look at this". The pigeon is sitting on a rock by the front window. "Oh", I said, "that's Jim the pigeon. He followed me up from the frog pond."

We checked to make sure he could fly by charging at him and he flew off. A minute later he's back. I walked onto the patio and sat down and he comes around the corner and walks around like he owns the place looking in the windows and stuff. He's currently outside walking around on the lawn pecking at things.

He almost acts like he's someone's pet. I can walk right up to him but he won't let me touch him. He's completely unafraid of humans. I told him the nearest McDonald's is something like 20 miles away but he didn't seem to care.
I used to get them to perch on my arm or shoulder when I worked at the college. Food bribery works well with them. They loved bits of stale hot dog bun. I also was one of several feeding a black stray cat we all named Prince.

My wife opened the garage door to take some stuff out. Next thing the pigeon is in the garage. She had to shoo it out of the garage. I went out a bit later and opened the garage door and the pigeon was waiting outside and it came right in. I bet if I opened the front door the pigeon would stroll right in. This bird is the most chill wild animal I've ever encountered.

Enjoy. I have these Java finches that hang out on my lanai and the windows above my music room. When I play heavy riffs kind of loud, sometimes they pop their heads up and look down at me with their red, beady eyes.

A friend of mine runs a furniture restoration shop in suburban DC. A couple of years ago a white dove showed up and wanted to hang out in the shop, so he built a cage for it and started feeding it. Then a year or so later a white pigeon showed up and did the same thing. Now both birds have free rein in the shop and roost in their cages. The pigeon will even go for slow rides on my friend's motorcycle (around the parking lot).

Did you check for a message on his leg? Could be from your future self :)
I have a robin following me in the garden wanting me to throw a blueberry to him. Bastard!

Back
Top Bottom