JFC. The F12 is such an infuriating speaker.

JiveTurkey

Power User
Played my second gig with the F12 last night. First time with a crap behringer power amp. Horrid coloration. Gave up on it for quite a while. Picked up a camplifier 180 a few weeks back. Practiced a number of times successfully with this rig. Felt great, sounded awesome and filled the jam space nicely.

Get to the gig and it becomes feedback city. Gain staging issues that were suddenly not a problem are now a problem. This f**king thing is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goldilocks. Jesus. Got the rig back in my jam room. Set the levels to -10 on out 2. So now I need a bazillion watt power amp to get this F12 to keep up with the Mustang GT100. It's absolutely RIDICULOUS. JFC. I have a second one I was looking at either doing another 112 or putting it in a powered 212 of some sort but my god. It sounds better than the Mustang but the headaches and hoops I have had with it are about putting me at the done zone.

Interesting. I've heard some really good things about it from some builder friends. I expect that the right cab enclosure is key. What do you have it in?

It's in a cheap 112. I think last nights issue was all on my gain staging problem. Which is admittedly my fault. Just makes me gun shy about taking it out live again without a more powerful power amp. Which seems like a slippery slope that might end up being unsatisfactory no matter what I do.

Have you done everything that has been suggested by people who use that speaker with very satisfying results?
It's gotta be a challenge designing a speaker to give the best of 2, seemingly opposite, worlds: faithfully recreating the sound of modeled amps, while also giving the feel of playing through a guitar cab itr, hooked up to a tube amp. To that end, Celestion has provided specific cab design plans, and there are specific amps @ certain power ratings that must be used.
From the threads & posts I've read, people who have done both (even ones who have not stayed exactly to the Celestion-spec cabs), have had stellar results.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with that speaker, but hey, if you wanna believe there is, so as to not buy some, so you'll have more money for a Majesty...:p
(Have I mentioned lately how awesome they are? teehee)

You are reading my mind. Or I am reading yours. :)

Let me just say I have been shopping. Not sure I can do
the Majesty body shape, though. I am kind of smitten with
the JPs.

Have you done everything that has been suggested by people who use that speaker with very satisfying results?
It's gotta be a challenge designing a speaker to give the best of 2, seemingly opposite, worlds: faithfully recreating the sound of modeled amps, while also giving the feel of playing through a guitar cab itr, hooked up to a tube amp. To that end, Celestion has provided specific can design plans, and there are specific amps @ certain power ratings that must be used.
From the threads & posts I've read, people who have done both (even ones who have not stayed exactly to the Celestion-spec cabs), have had stellar results.

Jive Turkey seems to have a notorious reputation as being hard to please. So
there is that, too. ;)

You are reading my mind. Or I am reading yours. :)

Let me just say I have been shopping. Not sure I can do
the Majesty body shape, though. I am kind of smitten with
the JPs.
You know, I wasn't all that into the body shape either at first, or the shield in the middle. But when I started thinking of it as a sort of radical departure, I was fine with it.
And when I first opened the case...., well, obviously, I was done!
Hey, a JP is fantastic too. I suppose you've seen Cooper's videos? He has/had a red Majesty, and the Blue Honu, but lately all I've seen him playing are his JP's.

You know, I wasn't all that into the body shape either at first, or the shield in the middle. But when I started thinking of it as a sort of radical departure, I was fine with it.
And when I first opened the case...., well, obviously, I was done!
Hey, a JP is fantastic too. I suppose you've seen Cooper's videos? He has/had a red Majesty, and the Blue Honu, but lately all I've seen him playing are his JP's.

I just watched the Majesty/JP comparison vid Cooper did. It didn't help me one bit. :)

I do have my eye on this beauty. Sadly, it is in Vietnam for some reason. :(

tip7v4jjklppwkyh4u8t.jpg

If JiveTurkey wants, maybe we can take this elsewhere. Until then...
That guitar is one I too looked at because of the finish. I'm not positive, but I believe it's a bit smoother to the touch, which is the only minor complaint I have with my Majesties. And I do mean minor.
But the playability, the ease of access, the harmonic content of the PU's..., heck, I even adjusted to the PU selector switch location, and now believe it's in the best place it could be. The trem takes abuse and the guitar retains tuning with just a little Nut Sauce on both ends of the strings (from your idea-thanks!)

It's all good! I don't mind a detour on a killer guitar \m/

My issues with the F12 are mainly user error and less than ideal combinations of gear. But just one of those things where enough "off times" with something, no matter what the cause; and you kind of get gun shy about moving forward with it.

It's all good! I don't mind a detour on a killer guitar \m/

My issues with the F12 are mainly user error and less than ideal combinations of gear. But just one of those things where enough "off times" with something, no matter what the cause; and you kind of get gun shy about moving forward with it.

I totally get that. Any piece of gear that makes me work too hard to get along with it becomes
quickly suspect.

Back
Top Bottom