Jessie's Girl - Axe Fx JCM800 Model

Matman said:
Love it. Will you upload the patches to Axechange?

No backing vox?

-m@
The patch is out there already on the Axe Exchange. I believe it is called Almost Angus JCM800. :D

Thanks for the positive feedback

Your mixes always sound great-besides your golden ears, what type of recording setup do you use? Interface, EQs, etc?

benjam said:
Your mixes always sound great-besides your golden ears, what type of recording setup do you use? Interface, EQs, etc?

Thank you for the compliment! I have come a long way in recent sessions but I feel there is still a great amount of improvements to be made with my mixes. :)

I use Cakewalk Sonar 8 PE with a MOTU 828MKII. I use the following as well:
Amps
Great River ME-1NV Preamp(s)

Mics
Royer R-121, Rode NTK, SM57, Audix i5, etc

UAD Plugins
1176 Compressors
Neve 1073 (I LOVE THIS EQ!)

The biggest improvements probably have come from a new understanding of high-pass filters. This is what really helps produce a clean, crisp mix. Also knowing how to EQ each track to fit the mix. Other than this, it is just mix to taste.

Tubehead said:
benjam said:

Thank you for the compliment! I have come a long way in recent sessions but I feel there is still a great amount of improvements to be made with my mixes. :)

I use Cakewalk Sonar 8 PE with a MOTU 828MKII. I use the following as well:
Amps
Great River ME-1NV Preamp(s)

Mics
Royer R-121, Rode NTK, SM57, Audix i5, etc

UAD Plugins
1176 Compressors

The biggest improvements probably have come from a new understanding of high-pass filters. This is what really helps produce a clean, crisp mix. Also knowing how to EQ each track to fit the mix. Other than this, it is just mix to taste.

Thanks for the info - I'm still using Sonar6PE w/ a Presonus Firepod. Do you run the Axe thru the Great River or straight into the MOTU? I'm also seriously considering the UAD stuff. I just recently downloaded the demo of PSPs new sQuad bundle, and they are the best sounding EQs I've used so far (but I haven't tried the UAD stuff).

In Sonar, do you mix to stereo buses or do you use the 2.1 setup (no LFE) with the Surround Panner? I've gone back/forth and I'm not sure which one is better (for me).

benjam said:
Thanks for the info - I'm still using Sonar6PE w/ a Presonus Firepod. Do you run the Axe thru the Great River or straight into the MOTU? I'm also seriously considering the UAD stuff. I just recently downloaded the demo of PSPs new sQuad bundle, and they are the best sounding EQs I've used so far (but I haven't tried the UAD stuff).

In Sonar, do you mix to stereo buses or do you use the 2.1 setup (no LFE) with the Surround Panner? I've gone back/forth and I'm not sure which one is better (for me).

I ru as much as I can throught the GR preamp. It helps add a little colour and the amps are better than the ones on the MOTU. UAD kicks a$$.

I always mix to a Stereo Master Bus. :)

Tubehead said:
xpenno said:
Great tones Tubehead! Is this a mic'd cab or direct? If direct which cab/mic combo are you using?

Cheers

Spence

I think it was 4X12 Cali with the R121 mic

Interesting... Say, how much eq did you have to put on your guitar track? The reason I ask is that almost without exception, I find that all cabs in the Axe display the dreaded "blanket over speaker" effect. That's one thing I hated when working with Amplitube 2, even with IR files. Unfortunately, I find that the same applies to the Axe.

It's a great clip by the way, and great voice.

Deltones said:
Tubehead said:
xpenno said:
Great tones Tubehead! Is this a mic'd cab or direct? If direct which cab/mic combo are you using?

Cheers

Spence

I think it was 4X12 Cali with the R121 mic

Interesting... Say, how much eq did you have to put on your guitar track? The reason I ask is that almost without exception, I find that all cabs in the Axe display the dreaded "blanket over speaker" effect. That's one thing I hated when working with Amplitube 2, even with IR files. Unfortunately, I find that the same applies to the Axe.

It's a great clip by the way, and great voice.

Very little. A Hgh-Pass around 100Hz and maybe a slight mid scoop around 125Hx with a Q of 5 - 7 and reduction of about 4db. Acually, very little EQ.

Tubehead said:
Very little. A Hgh-Pass around 100Hz and maybe a slight mid scoop around 125Hx with a Q of 5 - 7 and reduction of about 4db. Acually, very little EQ.

Hmmm... Well, you did one hell of a job, because I don't hear that blanket effect, which is why I asked the question. I think I saw your patch on the exchange. I'll test it out and compare the sound I get with your clip. Should be interesting.

Tubehead said:
UAD Plugins
1176 Compressors

I finally took the plunge and got the UAD2 Solo Flexi. I'm really liking the plugs you recommended above, in addition to the Plate 140, Neve 88RS, and Cambridge EQ. They really do sound fantastic. Before, I think the cumulative effect of less-than-great EQs was really hurting the clarity of my tracks.

What reverb(s) did you use on this track? Also, did you record the bass direct using the Axe or did you mic it? Thanks for the help!

I used th Plate 140 and the Pantheon Reverb from Cakewalk Sonar 8 Professional. I used the Small Room Reverb setting (22 I think). This worked great and helped save some CPU.

The bass was recorded direct using a Sans Amps.

The trick is using EQ (Shelfing) and great compression settings. IMO

What limiter are using at the end of the chain? I've been using PSP Xenon for a while now and it seems to be as good as any of the others, but I really don't like the outcome when I attempt to match commercial rock standards (the whole loudness war thing). I typically end up about 2dB below what's out there - but you can hear the limiting.

benjam said:
What limiter are using at the end of the chain? I've been using PSP Xenon for a while now and it seems to be as good as any of the others, but I really don't like the outcome when I attempt to match commercial rock standards (the whole loudness war thing). I typically end up about 2dB below what's out there - but you can hear the limiting.

UAD Precision Limiter :D

Tubehead said:
benjam said:

UAD Precision Limiter :D

Well of course you are. ;)

I'm going broke on these plugs - I think I've got about 8 on the 14-day demo right now.

Back
Top Bottom