Jerk It Out Organ Effect

Davus PG

Inspired
I'm trying to get the sound of the keyboard/synth at the start of Jerk It Out by Caesars:

My starting point is an organ preset that I think @yek may have shared previously that uses pitch blocks and chorus for a great Hammond organ effect (which I use for Town Called Malice by The Jam), but am struggling to get the right amount of grit on it. I've tried adding drive blocks and the boost in the amp, but it still sounds a bit too clean.

I've also had some success tweaking @hippietim's Blue Collar preset, but it still sounds a bit too pristine

What's the best way to add noise/dirt to a sound as I think that might be all it needs? Or is there a better approach for me to achieve this sound?

Any help, tips greatly appreciated

I'm trying to get the sound of the keyboard/synth at the start of Jerk It Out by Caesars:

My starting point is an organ preset that I think @yek may have shared previously that uses pitch blocks and chorus for a great Hammond organ effect (which I use for Town Called Malice by The Jam), but am struggling to get the right amount of grit on it. I've tried adding drive blocks and the boost in the amp, but it still sounds a bit too clean.

I've also had some success tweaking @hippietim's Blue Collar preset, but it still sounds a bit too pristine

What's the best way to add noise/dirt to a sound as I think that might be all it needs? Or is there a better approach for me to achieve this sound?

Any help, tips greatly appreciated

The first thing I would try (starting with Blue Collar) is to delete the amp and cab block, put a distortion in front of the pitch block. Have the amount of gain controlled by the envelope controller so that when you hit it hard the gain is over the top.

Fabulous, thank you for the advice. I'll try that now. I'd never have thought to not have an amp or cab block.

Not sure if it'll matter off the top of my head but you may also want to try the drive after the pitch block.

My starting point is an organ preset that I think @yek may have shared previously that uses pitch blocks and chorus for a great Hammond organ effect (which I use for Town Called Malice by The Jam)

Surely both this and Town Called Malice are a Farfisa sound, not a Hammond?

Edit: Just listened again to TCM and probably a Hammond, although I think Jerk It Out is a Farfisa. Do a search and there's an old Farfisa preset for the AX8 which may give you some ideas.

Jerk It Out could even be a Vox Continental, nice thin lo-fi feel about it. Agree it doesn't sound very Hammond, but who knows with more modern processing?

Back
Top Bottom