JEM7V Vs RG550LTD. Veredict: I've sold the JEM, I keep the unbeatable RG550LTD

Piing

Axe-Master
The RG550LTD has been my #1 Super-strat since 1994 (it replaced the Charvel firecrack of my avatar). I have played hundreds of gigs with her. I don't know if all the RG550 Limited Edition are like this one or if I have a lucky piece of wood with mojo. It has great resonance, even unplugged, playability and sustain.

I have swapped pickups several times: Fred, Blue Velvet, Tone Zone, Air Norton, The Breed, Evo2, Gravity Storm... Now I have a Suhr Doug Aldrich at the bridge and a Dimarzio Bluesbucker at the neck. I have also replaced the whole bridge 3 times.

Four years ago I tried to replace it with a beautiful and expensive J-Custom RG8550MZ, but the J-Custom had a dead note and I sold it after many frustrated attempts to solve the problem. Even swapping necks with the RG550

RG8550-Neck1.jpg

Last May I bought a JEM7V. It is an excellent guitar and it could have replaced the RG550LTD. But after few months I felt that it had not much added value over the RG, and that made feel uncomfortable. I have finally sold it, and I do not regret the decision. It was beautiful while it lasted, but now I love my old and worn out RG550LTD even more than before. It has my DNA deeply embedded on it, and I was too concerned about spoiling the mint Jem with my DNA.

RG550LTD JEM7V.jpg

I wish good luck to the new young owner. He is the son of a Grammy Gold Awarded musician
Jem.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom