Jeff McErlain discusses effects order using his FM3

Jeff is a really good player and good teacher who works via TrueFire. Covers mostly blues blues/rock territory. He’s recently started doing streams on YouTube. Recommend.

Jeff is a guitarist's guitarist. He plays in Robben Ford's touring band, has produced some of Robben's TrueFire courses, and has a solo album out featuring Robben playing on it.

If you watch "Five Watt World" on YouTube, Jeff demos the gear for some of the Short History series of videos.

His TrueFire courses are excellent!

Sure, 1 minute unless you are interested in the reasons why this is his recommended effect ordering, or the difference in sound when effects are placed in different order, or how your favorite guitarists ordered effects in various ways to achieve specific sounds that are unique them. If you have no interest in those details offered by an extremely talented guitarist and educator, then 1 minute is more than enough.

https://truefire.com/search/?q=jeff mc erlain

Guilty as charged. No way I have time to sit through an hour long vid.
Knowing which effects go in front of the amp, which ones after and the order they come in takes about 1 minute.
The rest of it is just a guy talking.
Put me in the category of don't care to hear anyone talking on and on and on.

I disagree that there is a “best” or “correct” order for pedals. It depends on the song/part/effect that you’re going for.

Something “wrong” just might be the perfect musical sound for the part.

I worked with Jeff for a few weeks during the 2007 National Guitar Workshop summer camps. He was one of the teachers and I was a grunt worker for the camp. Really nice dude and I remember him having this pour-over coffee thing that sat on top of a coffee mug, years before pour-overs were a big thing.

Back
Top Bottom