Jeff Loomis - Fractal artist drinking someone elses kool-aid... ?

I can only imagine that's not even his guitar. You go to these events and they ask you to play, and you play.

Jeff is obviously using his own signature guitar in this clip.

That's Keith Merrow playing with Loomis........both of them have been using the KPA for quite a while now & so there would be an obvious comfort level with using it.

Sounds great.....Loomis is a monster player

Last edited:
Jeff is obviously using his own signature guitar in this clip.

That's Keith Merrow playing with Loomis........both of them have been using the KPA for quite a while now & so there would be an obvious comfort level with using it.

Sounds great.....Loomis is a monster player

well there you go.

Sounds pretty good... Does anyone know if he was using guitar cabs or is it running through the PA?

Last edited:
I love Superior Drummer and all the drum vst's out there but the kick is just too rapid-fire mechanical in this.
All the drummers who hated on midi will be back hating with good reason.
The kick level is also too predominant here. Hopefully its only because of where the guy was standing when he was recording it.

I'd love to be able to play the ascending lick that starts at about 4:41 ish and ends about 4:44 ish.......

Anybody care to shed some light on this for me? This method of going up 4-5 notes, then coming back half way, then going up 4-5 then coming back half way.

But the notes he selects and the order he plays them, and they get progressively faster like 5 notes tied together at the end.

I'd love for someone to play it really slowly so I could learn it and own it for myself, and be able to sneak it into stuff occasionally.

Thanks

maybe it was his KPA, maybe they were there because Merrow had them there (he also has s Schecter sig now), maybe Loomis hates the Axe FX and wants it to die...who knows. It doesn't invalidate how amazing it is. Could be personal taste, could be KPA kicking him some cash...it's all a business. Guys change amps, guitars, pedals....this is no different...

I love Superior Drummer and all the drum vst's out there but the kick is just too rapid-fire mechanical in this.
The kick level is also too predominant here. Hopefully its only because of where the guy was standing when he was recording it.

Probably partly because of where he is and the fact that it's just through an onboard mic 'n' whatnot. But to a degree, that's pretty much how a lot of drums sound on metal recordings, even with a drummer sitting behind a kit. If it's not processed to hell and back, it's just plain replaced or triggered. My problem with it is more that there's just no dynamics or imperfections in it. Sounded like every note was snapped to the grid, 127 velocity. The kick drum being really clicky and standing out in the mix is one thing, but the whole thing sounds rather unnatural.

As far as I know, Loomis uses both the Axe and the Kemper, and Merrow uses the Kemper. Loomis has a bunch of online vids where you can see the Axe in the background.

No need for either/or, you can appreciate and use both products.

With great players such as loomis and Govan, they can play through a cigarette box and sound amazing.

In all honesty, I think I'd rather buy my own Axe FX than have Kemper give me a KPA for free and get locked into using that exclusively.

That's my random thought for the day.

Monster playing. Guy's a machine.

Loomis has owned and been using a kemper since right after it came out. Look at his youtube videos from home, he is almost always playing through it.

I'm fairly confident that this is a real drummer, Alex Rudinger recorded drums for their album haha. Dude's a machine

I'm fairly confident that this is a real drummer, Alex Rudinger recorded drums for their album haha. Dude's a machine

There may have been a real drummer playing, but that's most certainly sample replaced and quantized at least. (Not that I think that's a mortal sin, like some people do, or anything)

the kick does sound too consistent. If it is SD2, they should increase the sample limit and humanise more, but then maybe thats too sloppy for loomis to play to.

Back
Top Bottom