Jeff Beck - Cause we've ended as lovers

Absolute great and tasty playing - I love Jeff Becck, my alltime greatest - do you always play without a pick or only for the authency of this JB song?

I always play with a pick. I only strummed some notes with the fingers at the beginning. It's a transparent V-Pick and I hold it between my 2nd and 3rd fingers when I don't use it.

I am not much into Jeff Beck. I only like his slow tempo songs, like this one :rolleyes:

Fabulous, really enjoyed that Piing, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm not really familiar with Beck but I do like that song and the tone is killer. I'll definitely check out the Bludo's now.

Ok, I’ve watched myself and I see why it may look like I’m playing with the fingers (I only use them on few notes): after I pluck the long note with bending release at the beginning, I rapidly slip the pick between the 2nd and 3rd fingers and then I use the thumb to mute the 3rd-4th-5th-6th strings and the first finger to mute the 1st. I’ve developed that movement unconsciously. o_O

The thing that I've found most challenging of that intro is not to play and bend the note, but to mute the other strings to avoid unwanted sounds while rolling the volume pot with the pinky.

BTW: Jeff Beck recorded the original song (“Blow by Blow” album) with a pick, and he did not used the whammy bar during the song, only left hand bendings and vibrato. That was the time before he throw away the pick and glued his right hand to the tremolo arm.

It's a transparent V-Pick and I hold it between my 2nd and 3rd fingers when I don't use it.

Well that's why I couldn't see your pick although it looked like you play with a pick - JB is my hero but I can't play like him - I mean by that the grazy oriental scales he's using on some songs and the Noises he can produce just with his fingers and guitar....

My favorite Beck tune, Blow by Blow was a killer record and this the best from it. Great job on the tones.

It´s a free cab from OH, one of ten OH-Cabs in the Releasnotes. Maybe oldschool............:DBut sounds good..........
Sorry Hubi but I've checked and the one the releasenotes is called studio-modern not studio-vintage that's why I'm asking - I thought the same as you but....

As the Rick that can really play said.....my favorite Beck song and I'm not a huge Beck fan.....Blow by Blow was always my fav.................and FANTASTIC playing Piing......I was watching your right hand the entire time noticing how easily you move the pick around between your fingers as you use all your right hand fingers doing what you do........just fantastic.....great tone too (wasn't Beck still playing a Les Paul in those days?)

Thank you for your comments. I’ve been several years without playing, and now I am finding some difficulties to play. The brain wants to go but the nerves cannot follow everything, and I cannot play more than 15 or 20 minutes non-stop without harming my hands.

I attach the presets. I didn't post them on Axe-Change because I find it frustrating to download a preset containing a user cab that you don't own.

"BludoClean+Zen+2x12"
-->"2x12 Bludo H65 121 B 3ft" (Cab Pack 17) at U077
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46804116/BludoClean+Zen+2x12.syx

"BludLead+2x12Blud.syx"
--> "2x12 Bludo H65 121 B 3ft" (Cab Pack 17) at U077
--> "OH_412_MAR-CB_FN-42_Studio-Vintage" (Cab Pack 3) at U071
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46804116/BludLead+2x12Blud.syx

The guitar is a Fender American Deluxe Strat with a golden-mirror pickguard that I found on Ebay.
Dimarzio Area 58 (neck), 67 (mid), 61 (bridge). I've also installed Graph-Tech piezos with Ghost Hexpander and Midi Converter on that guitar, but now it's disconnected because I had an issue of radio interference.
It also has a Schaller Tremstop to park the whammy bar and make it feel like a fixed bridge.

Strato.jpg

RickTN, I’ve also heard that this song was recorded with a LesPaul. I’ve been playing it with a Ibanez S5470 with a Dimarzio Gravity Storm and it sounds great. With more body, and easier to bring the harmonics.

Back
Top Bottom