1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

JCM800 with our without bright switch

Discussion in 'AX8 Discussion' started by Chiguete, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Chiguete

Chiguete
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

JCM800 with our without bright switch ON for it to behave like factory?

2. CipherHost

CipherHost
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

From Yek's Amp Guide: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amp-models-yeks-pdf-guide.115779/

"A stock JCM 800 is a very harsh amp at lower volume levels. To make it sound less brittle, turn up Master Volume or drastically reduce Treble and Presence. This applies to the amp model too. Another way to make the amp model less bright, is to turn off the Bright switch. This is equivalent to removing the treble peaker on the real amp."

3. RKF

RKF
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

The bright switch is absolutely essential to me on pretty much all the Marshall models. To me, that IS the sound. Without it the tone seems kind of dull and woofy. If you like a lot of pick attack and a nice gain boost, the bright switch can be the solution.

I can't think of any medium to high gain presets in my AX8 where the bright switch is off. But hey, to each their own.

4. J.DavidAX8

J.DavidAX8
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I think depend of the tone your ear like and will depend of the guitar you play and many other factors (pick,strings,speakers,etc), JCM 800 bright on with an ibanez baswood body and some super bright dimarzio pickup can be ice picking machine. Prs mahogany body pure nickel round core strings probably need the switch bright on.

5. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

On is authentic. Our reference amp had the bright cap removed by a previous owner. I put it back in. I like it on, even with a bright guitar.

NightWalker, RKF and marshall2553 like this.