JCM 800 question

Raab90

Inspired
Hello.

Is the JCM800 model based on the single input, or vertical/horizontal inputs?
If the latter, is it the cascading inputs version, or the separate triodes one?
Any idea what year is it?

Thanks!

I don't know the year (I suppose I could look at it but I'm not sure where it would be indicated). It's a vertical input Canada export version. I went through several before settling on this one as it was the best sounding by far.

I don't know the year (I suppose I could look at it but I'm not sure where it would be indicated). It's a vertical input Canada export version. I went through several before settling on this one as it was the best sounding by far.

Interesting...the Canadian and UK versions of the JCM800 used EL34s vs 6550 tubes on the US versions; on the schematics there are some component differences between the versions in the power amp (bias and screen components).

The Canadian versions also have a ton of fuses on an internal circuit board mandated by the CSA. Not quick to change and very much a pain when they go at a gig (I've blown these internal fuses right after switching from Standby to Play seconds before a start of a set on at least two occasions I can remember; you have to take the chassis out to change them, some are slow-blo, yay).

I've got two JCM800's from 1983, the 50W head and 50W 1x12 combo, used the head for decades....

mine - 1983 50w 6550 vert inputs
had a white tag pasted on the side of the inner shell, that was dated and had a bunch female-like initials (IMO)

A buddy of mine has one of these, it is frightenly good sounding. It more than holds its own vs. a plethora of boutique Marshalls.

Back
Top Bottom