Jc-120 chorus: how to simulate?

d2dark

Inspired
I've try many avenue to try to recreate the deep chorus effect that I have in my jc-120 and I can't fight out what I'm missing to get the same space deepness that happen when I turn it On on the real amp.

I need help for you fellow Axe amp geek

I am sure Alex Lifeson must have asked for that as well now that he is using Axe-FX for his Effects. He used JC-120s for his clean chorus from the early days and even on Snakes and Arrows. Wonder if M@ has a silver bullet for this one after working with Alex???? I Use a 79 JC-77 same with 10"x2 and 2x38.5 watts = 77 watts - I know that the effect requires two separate amplifiers - your JC-120 is 2x60w stereo. There is a magic in the JC when it comes to it's chorus effect for absolute certain. (Now the distortion, not so magic LOL) How can they both set the standard for an effect and assassinate another effect on the same amp?

This would make a great option in the chorus block - That last chorus released a few FW's back is quite cool

Struggling with this also and surprised that there doesnt seem to be more people asking for it? Having just bought an Axe Fx II and selling off all my real amps including a Roland JC120 I was really hoping to be able to recreate its amazing chorus. I was disappointed that it wasn't already implemented in the Axe as it is such an iconic effect! Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge than me will be able to come up with a solution as I am sure this amazing black box is more than capable of it!!

Doesn't the chorus on the JC-120 only come out of one speaker, the other speaker is clean?
If so, I would try running a dual amp panned left and right with chorus only on one side.

I like a reverb block before the amp and a chorus block after the cab.

This sounds a lot like my JC110 with the chorus on.

Pardon the clams please... still morning here and not enough caffeine yet!

JC120 -> 2x12 RW Jazz 67 Cond Mic

Strat in Eb tuning

Attachments

• Jazz Chorus SC barH.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 70
Doesn't the chorus on the JC-120 only come out of one speaker, the other speaker is clean?

Yes. The reason why it sounds so deep and lush is because the clean and chorused sounds combine acoustically within the room, not inside the amp. Big diff, and the effect is similar to how a Leslie does its thing. You need to have two speakers to pull it off and they can't be very far apart or it gets weird.

Reactions: Rex
Yes. The reason why it sounds so deep and lush is because the clean and chorused sounds combine acoustically within the room, not inside the amp. Big diff, and the effect is similar to how a Leslie does its thing. You need to have two speakers to pull it off and they can't be very far apart or it gets weird.

I went back and added a clean / chorus split to scene 1 and a conventional stereo chorus in scene 2.

Scene 1: L/R clean and chorus split setup for two speakers
Scene 2: Dimension D in stereo

Both of these sound really close to my real Roland JC110.

Attachments

• Jazz Chorus SC barH.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 76
I took a shot at this tonight (didn't see barh's post til just now). There might be cleaner ways to route it, but this is what I did to get vibrato in the left channel only (like the real amp).

I've always been pretty happy with my previous JC patch with a standard stereo chorus in it, but this version sounds way better to me.

Attachments

• Roland Jazz Chorus.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I took a shot at this tonight (didn't see barh's post til just now). There might be cleaner ways to route it, but this is what I did to get vibrato in the left channel only (like the real amp).

I've always been pretty happy with my previous JC patch with a standard stereo chorus in it, but this version sounds way better to me.

I changed your Cab block to use the 67 Cond mic. That sounds more like my Roland in the room. Nice preset.

Finally got to have a go trying these suggestions today and ended up with a very simple dual amp setup panned hard left and right with javajunkie's CE-1 through the left only. It sounds awesome with my White Falcon plugged into it!! Exactly the sound I was after so thanks to everyone for their ideas! :)

Back
Top Bottom