JC-120 authenticity

Jan Geerts

Experienced
It is my fave clean model, but then I am mostly listening to 80s newwave lately.

I checked to see what was in the model's pre and poweramp, and I see virtual tubes there. Not complaining, it sounds great, but I wasn't expecting that.
How were those particular tubes chosen for this model?

Do you mean that the dropdown for tube type exists on that amp when you go to those editor pages? To my knowledge the advanced amp pages always show all the settings even if they're unused/will have no affect. You can see this where the Cathode follow controls are still there on amps that don't have a cathode follower.

If you change them do they have any affect? Just because the setting is there and you can change it doesn't mean it's affecting the sound.

I used to own one, No tubes, solid state.

try the JC120 block without a cab, sounds great for that stiff 80s clean.

I always got my best results with the JC-120 by turning off the power amp. I was looking for very clean and with the power amp on there was always just a touch of 'haze' I couldn't get rid of until I shut off the power amp.

I always got my best results with the JC-120 by turning off the power amp. I was looking for very clean and with the power amp on there was always just a touch of 'haze' I couldn't get rid of until I shut off the power amp.
It is strange that the poweramp level is set so low btw. But I'll give this a try

A real JC120 doesn't have actual tubes in it. For the Axe modelling, something needs to be plugged in to that spot as a placeholder so.. virtual tubes.

What is a virtual tube? In the axe fx all modeled tubes are virtual. But since the JC120 is solid state, it probably isn't using any virtual tube models.

That really works if you want it squeaky clean, although I do love the sag most of the time

Back
Top Bottom