JC-120 amp output level?

rodzimguitar68

Fractal Fanatic
Disclaimer: 3 year owner, Axe II Mark 1, 19.0 beta #3 installed today. FIRST TIME TRYING TO USE THE ROLAND JC120 model.

With my setup, I usually run amp blocks from -20 db to -12 db level.

With the JC-120 today, I had to run the level at +8.00 to achieve the same levels.

Has the output level of this model always been SOOOOOO substantially quieter than the other models?

I found the Master Volume (MV) to be noticeably lower than other amps. I suspect this is due to the modeling of this being a solid state amp vs. tube amps.
From the AxeFX Wiki:
Master Volume: The Master Volume (MV) controls how much signal level is sent to the power amp. Many vintage amps have no MV control and the power amp runs "wide open". Modern amps often get their distortion from the preamp and the Master Volume then allows the user to control the volume of the amp. The Master Volume in the Axe-Fx II, as well as on real amps, is probably the singular most powerful control in the amp block. As the Master Volume is increased the virtual power amp begins to distort. The virtual power amp also begins to sag and all sorts of beautiful magic occurs. The tone becomes more focused, the dynamic response changes, the note attack is accentuated, etc.”
I would suspect FAS has set the MV to be a little bit lower to ensure that there is no distortion in the power amp section of the amp. No one want to hear a JC-120 distorting, just a super clean sound.

Loopie.

Reactions: Rex
I would suspect FAS has set the MV to be a little bit lower to ensure that there is no distortion in the power amp section of the amp. No one want to hear a JC-120 distorting, just a super clean sound.

A JC-120 has no master volume. At least I one I owned didn't.
I always crank the MV in the Jazz 12-0 model.

Back
Top Bottom