JBL PRX612M anyone have anything bad to say?

KyleUMF

Inspired
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PRX612M

So I do not know if you read my last post of how my atomic wedge is no where near enough for practice space use.... I talked to my good buddies at Hix Bros music and there main PA guy swears by these and I have a very good hookup with these gys and get stuff for a good price from them... I searched the threads and have not seen these come up anywhere, if i missed one i apologize for the repeat post but would lvoe to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!!

I'm interested in these too. Along with the Mackie HD 1221. Right now, I'm fairly satisfied with my RCF, but a wood cab would be nice to have.

There was a shootout posted on the forums a few months back and the user had the prx612m in there. Said they sounded okay, but the user admitted that he did not log enough time with them to form a certain opinion of the prx612m.

They are great speakers, but don't expect them to be way louder than the atomic just because it's 1,000 watts versus 50 watts tube. I had two PRX635's (these are 1,500 watts each, although not all that power is used on either model, because they are bi/triamped) and that still wasn't enough for my band. We play extremely loud, though - the other guitarist is usually around 2 o'clock on his Orange 100 watt head. I traded these for two 612's for PA duty and put a 2/90/2 in my guitar setup. World of difference. If you're struggling to be heard in a loud band, powered monitors generally just cannot dish it out. You need a quality power amp (solid state works too, but wattage can be misleading brand to brand).

They are great speakers, but don't expect them to be way louder than the atomic just because it's 1,000 watts versus 50 watts tube. I had two PRX635's (these are 1,500 watts each, although not all that power is used on either model, because they are bi/triamped) and that still wasn't enough for my band. We play extremely loud, though - the other guitarist is usually around 2 o'clock on his Orange 100 watt head. I traded these for two 612's for PA duty and put a 2/90/2 in my guitar setup. World of difference. If you're struggling to be heard in a loud band, powered monitors generally just cannot dish it out. You need a quality power amp (solid state works too, but wattage can be misleading brand to brand).
So you do not run FR/FR anymore?

If you're struggling to be heard in a loud band, powered monitors generally just cannot dish it out.

That's not always true. It depends on what you're using. If you use 2 powered wedges, you can get plenty loud. And, depending on which brand and model you're talking about, your results can vary. One Atomic Reactor wedge gets pretty loud. Two would be REALLY loud. Especially for a small club where you're putting guitars through the front-of-house PA system, as well, already.

I had no complaints playing with my single wedge live, It sounded great, but I am a lot further away from the rest of the band at the venues we play so my wedge is much more isolated. Its in the rehearsal are where we are in a smaller room and bunched together where i lose my sound

So you do not run FR/FR anymore?

No, I run all that into a Mesa 4x12. Honestly, at this point, I don't miss FRFR. Before, I was always searching for a better cab/mic/power amp sim. Now, I turn on my rig and it just sounds good. I'm not hungry for more tone combinations at the moment - I feel like I can achieve a huge enough assortment of sounds without these features of the Axe, and the Fryette+Mesa honestly sounds at least as good if not better than any single power amp/cab sim combo I found while running FRFR. That being said, I am planning on picking up some Atomic powered cabs at some point to see how they compare. My guess is that the Fryettte sounds better, but it's super heavy, and sometimes I'm definitely willing to sacrifice space in the trailer, work/time loading in, etc. for a slight change in tone.

That's not always true. It depends on what you're using. If you use 2 powered wedges, you can get plenty loud. And, depending on which brand and model you're talking about, your results can vary. One Atomic Reactor wedge gets pretty loud. Two would be REALLY loud. Especially for a small club where you're putting guitars through the front-of-house PA system, as well, already.

Yeah, sorry, I was talking about solid state powered monitors. I think the Atomics can get way louder than any 12" and most speakers in general. I understand that things like the FBT sound great, but that's just not enough power in some situations. Even QSC and JBL high-powered offerings, as we are discussing here, are limited in the context of the OP.

Try HK Elements.. Or anything from HK. It makes a difference.

I use Tubepower and cabs, but for PA.........

Back
Top Bottom