JBL LSR305's vs Yamaha HS5's?

rich2k4

Inspired
I currently have the JBL LSR305's but I still have a couple of weeks left in my guitar center return policy. When I watch guitar videos on youtube, I notice that a lot of people own the Yamaha HS series of monitors with their axe fx.

I wanted to get some opinions on whether the HS5's are better? I have been thinking of doing an exchange. What are the differences between these two monitors?

Thanks.

It might be better to describe what you dont like about the 305's instead. The HS5's and 305's might be more alike than you think.

I had a set of 305's and put them through their paces, really didnt like them. I liked the wide dispersion of them, but thought they didnt have any sort of punch or kick, in my room. I tried the 308's and they had a real noisy rumble in them...ended up returning both and couldnt justify the HS8's, which is what I wanted, and went back to my original set of Alesis MK2 actives. My ears are just dialed in on those.

I don't necessarily dislike them. Everything sounds good. I just see everyone with the HS series, so i'm thinking there must be a reason.

Remember that monitors aren't supposed to sound "good" per say, nor is having a punch or kick always a good thing, particularly if it makes a mix sound better than it is. This only will have it translate poorly to other systems.

The 308's being rear ported can be problematic in many smaller rooms. Really need to get them about 4 feet or more from the wall which most people don't. Set them up near a wall and in an untreated room and the bass does get very rumbly, though not per say a fault of the monitor

Back
Top Bottom