JBL Eon 615s on the way

randyman

Experienced
Hi, gang - I'm in the process of gearing up to get off my ass and get out playing solo live later this year, and I thought I'd share what I decided on for a sound system.

First, as I've mentioned in other posts, I'm more of an aspiring guitarist than an accomplished one; my real experience comes from over 50 years playing keyboards, and over 40 playing synths. I recently got a pretty amazing instrument called a Seaboard, and it's time for me to get out there and make some noise.

Seaboardist (shameless plug)

On the other hand, I'm having a fantastic time working with the Axe-FX II and my Parker MaxxFly. I know I'm going to want to incorporate guitar (with interactive synth tracks) into what will primarily be a keyboard performance, and as the synths require a stereo FRFR system, that works out perfectly for the Axe, too.

Back in 1999 when I traveled cross-country to perform at Burning Man, I used a passive pair of JBL Eon 15s that I drove with a Mackie stereo amp. I was reeaally pleased with both the sound quality, and their ability to deliver clear, clean sound even while being cranked in the middle of the desert. I liquidated that setup a long time ago (as I wasn't playing out) but now that I'm getting ready to go again, JBL is the first place I checked. And after investigating other companies as well, I came back to JBL.

The Eon line has evolved quite a bit over the past 15 years, and at the 2014 NAMM show JBL announced their new Eon 615 powered speakers. They look like they'll be a real step up from my old system, and all I'll have to do is run line outs from my audio interface to the speakers. Bam!

1000 watts each, 39 pounds per speaker, and less than $1,000 for the pair. The cases are designed with angled sides so you can easily lay them down as floor monitors, too - which I'm really looking forward to doing for daytime practice, as I've used the Axe-FX II pretty much exclusively with headphones up until now.

They are a new product, and haven't hit the street yet, so they won't be delivered until sometime in May. But as they make a very reasonably priced option for an FRFR system - either mono or stereo - I thought I'd pass along the link to show folks the goodies.

EON615

Attachments

• eon615_duo_r.jpg
    eon615_duo_r.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Looking forward to your review. Weird keyboard looking thing but sensual sounds fun :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom