Jazzmaster owners?

I've decided to turn that jazz master offset body with the duncan stacks in it into a baritone. It'll look hawt. My second of two winter guitar build projects.

It'll look like this but with a 24-fret baritone conversion neck from Warmoth on it:

View attachment 92501
Nice!

I really like the Warmoth baritone conversion neck I bought from @hippietim on my GFS Tele body.

Took me several attempts to find the right string gauge for B-B and I'm still a little on the fence. Last time I played it I tuned it C-C and liked the feel a bit better.

Debating on trying another string set or staying in this tuning.

Nice!

I really like the Warmoth baritone conversion neck I bought from @hippietim on my GFS Tele body.

Took me several attempts to find the right string gauge for B-B and I'm still a little on the fence. Last time I played it I tuned it C-C and liked the feel a bit better.

Debating on trying another string set or staying in this tuning.
What’s the nut on the neck? Did you cut a new one or does it have a GraphTech nut?

It was a nut that Warmoth did - knowing me it was a Graphtech nut. Could be Corian too.
Thank you! I was hoping if I ordered a nut with the conversion neck they'd cut it assuming heavier gauge strings and it sounds like that's true.

My T-Rex hands needed something shorter scale, so I ended up with the Squier VM Jazzmaster as my test subject for IR files. I copper tape shielded it, put on Wilkinson locking tuners, and a Fender Jaguar bridge. Fun guitar!!!

Attachments

• 20211117_114527[1].jpg
    20211117_114527[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
2021 Novo Serus J custom order I bought off a forumite near me. Since I now know I like offsets a lot, this was an easy way to see if Novo fits me. Need to set it up to my liking but first impressions were good - spent 3 hours with it yesterday. The Fralin P90s sound great.

Edit: doesnt look like a JM, feels and handles like a JM (in case anyone has been wondering).

PXL_20211218_200153298.jpg

Last edited:
This is my special run JM from CME. Its my first one ever. PV 65's but the bridge is modern. Its a lot brighter than my 1999 Fender Telecaster B bender. But I love having a JM for surf, spy and spaghetti western music.IMG_0261.jpg

Last edited:
2021 Novo Serus J custom order I bought off a forumite near me. Since I now know I like offsets a lot, this was an easy way to see if Novo fits me. Need to set it up to my liking but first impressions were good - spent 3 hours with it yesterday. The Fralin P90s sound great.

Edit: doesnt look like a JM, feels and handles like a JM (in case anyone has been wondering).

View attachment 93086

Wow! Nice axe! :)

Care to amplify or diminish the the myth of Novo Mojo??

Wow! Nice axe! :)

Care to amplify or diminish the the myth of Novo Mojo??

Well built, well thought out, well balanced, fantastic sounds and playability. If you want a twist on the offset design with the feel and use you love, put em on the list.

I have read a bit that Novos are more resonant than most, but it seems fairly on par to my AVRI parts mutt acoustically. This one has the chunky C neck and I'd love to try the regular profile for comparison. I went on a fat neck binge in 2021 and have come to enjoy the 60s C on the AVRI vs 85-95s on others I had. This came as a surprise. I think the Novo neck is closer to 83-93 but cant check.

This one is 7.2lbs and Dennis' decision to use roasted pine bodies with roasted maple necks seems to pay dividends to resonance (thin finishes) and balance on a strap. I would definitely spec a bolt-on with those choices now lol.

Value is of course up to the buyer, but in my limited boutique experience the smaller shops at PRS core prices are doing great work.

It's worth noting that the Fralin P90s give these a slightlier beefier and dare I say more piano-like tone than a traditional JM. Very useful to have in the arsenal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom