Jazz tones

Paresh

Hi - I have mostly heard rock/blues demo tones. Are there also more warm/jazz tones? Thank you!

there are not many jazz tones among the demo tones. But that´s no problem at all. For a start: Just turn the knobs on the front panel and use one footswitch:
- if the compressor is on: switch it off. Use just a bit of Reverb if at all.
- knobs: turn the drive down to under 1.0 until the amp is clean, level up to compensate the volume loss, trebles and mids down, some more bass if needed, also a bit more presence and depth - treat some presets with fuller sounding amp models like that and you will notice: jazzy tones can be achieved - with some further tweaking...

thanks but I can't listen to it - I don't have the AX8 yet & don't know what to do with a syx file?

thanks but I can't listen to it - I don't have the AX8 yet & don't know what to do with a syx file?
oh you just want to hear it :) well you can listen to my demo of these presets. again, not a jazz tone, but a nice clean tone.

skip to 36:18, or also check near the beginning where i demo a clean tone

Don't be afraid to turn the input trim and the input gain on whatever amp you're using WAY down. There's still plenty of volume available with the master volume and the post master volume.

i'll be doing some clean jazz tone demos in the next several weeks. Until I played through a kemper, I had never heard such great clean jazz tones and 2 weeks after I got the axefx, the kemper had been sold. The axefx is in another league altogether and has the best clean tones I've ever heard. I typically use a deluxe reverb or vibroverb through a 2x12 open back cabinet or a bludotone cabinet and a little bit of spring reverb. Sounds better than any boutique tube amp I ever heard.

Yep. Also check out the Carr Roamer based on the Rambler. It's a suped up Deluxe Reverb which is s great jazz amp. It doesn't come with a lot of natural bottom but has such s nice tone.

Also it depends on what TYPE o jazz tone you want. I suppose since you're generalizing the term you're not seeking s modern jazz tone like Scofield.

Thanks for the ideas. Yes just "general warm jazz tones." I have a nylon string model with my Roland & I love that but I don't expect any other equipment to duplicate it.

The ax8 blows away the roland. It's a superset of what the roland can do. In addition to getting those roland sounds you have much better tone shaping , reverb, chorus and delay (if you choose) which blow away what roland can do and if going direct or running through an FRFR cabinet you will get the most beautiful nylon string tone you've ever heard. For acoustic guitar, I disable the amp and speaker modeling and just use a preamp or eq block. It's pure tone along the same lines and theory as what the acoustic image amplifiers do except it's truly neutral and flat and not nasally in any way. I haven't heard anything better and I've had practically every jazz and acoustic amp ever made from AI to Jazzkat to Mambo to henriksen to evans to bose to fishman.

i'll be doing some clean jazz tone demos in the next several weeks. Until I played through a kemper, I had never heard such great clean jazz tones and 2 weeks after I got the axefx, the kemper had been sold. The axefx is in another league altogether and has the best clean tones I've ever heard. I typically use a deluxe reverb or vibroverb through a 2x12 open back cabinet or a bludotone cabinet and a little bit of spring reverb. Sounds better than any boutique tube amp I ever heard.
Looking forward to seeing/hearing some jazz demos from you Jack.. we need more variety around here for sure.

I just checked them, but I saw in few of them there is no info about the gear you were using. Could you tell us what's the most common setup, have you changed something from on the whole configuration you mentioned at the beginning of this discussion up to now?

the common setup is either vibratoverb or dc30 going through ev12L cab and medium studio reverb.

I recently discovered that if you omit that cab, it sounds almost exactly like the recent series of jazz amps by acousticimg, mambo, henriksen, etc.

I also have variations which use a bit more gain so that there's a little overdrive when I dig in. Or I'll stick a timmy in front of everything. I can post some of my presets

Back
Top Bottom