Jazz standard Axe Fx II

Super nice Henry. I'm doing a solo version of this piece that I arranged. Great to hear an ensemble version of the song.

NICE !
Great playing and wonderful tone Henry.
Did you record USB out of the Axe, Axe analog out into ULN-8 or AES out into ULN-8 ??

Nice take on Autumn Leaves, Henry! Way to make it your own.

I found myself wishing for just a bit more tinkle on the guitar tone. In that mix, the guitar, piano and bass are carpeting the lower half of the spectrum. A little adornment in the form of upper register overtones would really present the piece.

That said, this tone would be brilliant alongside some brass.

Nice take on Autumn Leaves, Henry! Way to make it your own.

I found myself wishing for just a bit more tinkle on the guitar tone. In that mix, the guitar, piano and bass are carpeting the lower half of the spectrum. A little adornment in the form of upper register overtones would really present the piece.

That said, this tone would be brilliant alongside some brass.
Thank you! What's tinkle? More high end? I find I always have to compromise the low end when making room for other instruments. The drums, bass and piano own the low end. The only thing to me is I would have pulled back a little more on the delays.

Thank you! What's tinkle? More high end? I find I always have to compromise the low end when making room for other instruments. The drums, bass and piano own the low end. The only thing to me is I would have pulled back a little more on the delays.
Yes, I meant more high end. Not a lot—a touch of presence, maybe, to set off the notes.

Listening again under better conditions, I don't feel so strongly about that anymore. I wasn't hearing the piano's attack or the cymbals so clearly. The mix is really much better balanced than what I heard yesterday.

Yes, I meant more high end. Not a lot—a touch of presence, maybe, to set off the notes.

Listening again under better conditions, I don't feel so strongly about that anymore. I wasn't hearing the piano's attack or the cymbals so clearly. The mix is really much better balanced than what I heard yesterday.

The lead tends to get lost in the mix a bit and doesn't cut through as much as I'd like, and I do think it needs a bit more high end to cut some of the mud.

Thank you. Keep in mind jazz guitar tones tend to be very dark.

I agree, though there's a lot going in the 200Hz - 500Hz range that's obscuring the clarity of the guitar track. A cut of approx. 2dB - 3dB (or thereabouts) in that range and raising the overall guitar volume by a dB or so would probably do the trick.

I agree, though there's a lot going in the 200Hz - 500Hz range that's obscuring the clarity of the guitar track. A cut of approx. 2dB - 3dB (or thereabouts) in that range and raising the overall guitar volume by a dB or so would probably do the trick.
Could, except I think the guitar is already too loud. I like instruments balanced.

Could, except I think the guitar is already too loud. I like instruments balanced.
Cutting 3dB - 4dB in the aforementioned range would inherently lower the volume thus the recommendation. I checked out your sample in Samplitude and took a look at the balance using H-EQ, and as suspected there's a lot of energy in the 200Hz - 600Hz range that, to my ears, is obscuring the clarity a bit, but undoubtedly this is a personal preference. To each their own, I say.

This is just a backing track. I just mixed and mastered my own CD and have done several others. I use Spectrafoo as spectral analysis tool. This was not a serious recording for general release. Quick and dirty. I certainly wasn't going to spend a lot of time on it. For what it is I like it. If you don't that's OK. Appreciate the feedback nonetheless.

Reactions: Rex
This is just a backing track. I just mixed and mastered my own CD and have done several others. I use Spectrafoo as spectral analysis tool. This was not a serious recording for general release. Quick and dirty. I certainly wasn't going to spend a lot of time on it. For what it is I like it. If you don't that's OK. Appreciate the feedback nonetheless.

I should've prefaced my first post in this thread by stating that I do like the track. Great playing, by the way. I was just offering a bit of constructive criticism. No offense intended.

Back
Top Bottom