Jay's two new free IRs

You’d think after a year of lockdown people would be tired of hearing their amp in their bedroom sound, right ?

Why does no one want the sound of their guitar playing Madison square garden instead of Madison square basement ?

why does no one want to sound like their favorite album ?

why the sound of a guitar amp played in a room ?

seems an odd tonal goal when you think about it, no? The most coveted guitar tone how it sounds sitting in your bedroom playing guitar solo.

I

You’d think after a year of lockdown people would be tired of hearing their amp in their bedroom sound, right ?

Why does no one want the sound of their guitar playing Madison square garden instead of Madison square basement ?

seems an odd tonal goal when you think about it, no? The most coveted guitar tone how it sounds sitting in your bedroom playing guitar solo.

I
I agree, yet I bought 2, 2x12 in the quarantine :D

I actually worked at a music store way back in the day. We used to have so many people come in and bring a cd on their discman or sometimes even a cassette as I’m that old, and it was always “what gear do I need to get this sound” and the tone in question was always a popular in the day recording.

everyone had the sound of their amp in their bedroom, because that is all there was, guitar amps.

and a guitar amp on your bedroom sure doesn’t sound like ________ (insert popular rock guitar record name here).

So really, what gives ? What changed ?

everyone can have dead on album tones, song per song basis, any volume level, and people still complain ?

back in the day do you know how cool it would of been to have sold people a modeler and say “here you go, this will get you that tone dead on” and they’d be thrilled

But now we’ve got perfect album tones and people are like, “it doesn’t sound like playing a combo amp sitting in my bedroom”

do people just want whatever they can’t have ?

I guess it’s like synthesizers, people used to want digital synths with “realistic sounds” not analog, then we decided we wanted analog but it was expensive, so they did virtual analog and vst synths, and then people said they didn’t sound as good as real analog, so they brought back analog clones and at a great price, but then all these people bitch there is no preset recall, knobs don’t send cc data etc, and why can’t they make them do want a virtual analog can do etc....

it’s like you just can’t please anyone these days

The answer to all this is simple really…..just play through both, a 4x12 and a good set of frfrs. Done.
I mean we are talking bedroom rigs where nothing has to be moved, right? Simple and glorious👍

I
The funny part is how much effort frequently goes into making the amp in the room sound like the amp on the record. 🤪

I like the Axe FX because it doesn't sound like an amp in a room. For recording/gigging it's pretty much irrelevant.

If I wanted an amp in the room experience I'd pull out my amp.

well I guess that is one. I meant I have played a lot of amps in the room and I don't know what its so magical about it.

I suspect that there are certain playing styles where the "magic" is more of an impact. I'm mostly a guitar+amp+cab kind of player without much effects. In a simple rig like that, tiny things that are different impact my enjoyment of "the instrument" (which is those three things combined). If I played more ambient stuff or lots of effects, maybe there would be enough other stuff going on that I wouldn't miss the interaction between a tube amp and a speaker cabinet.

I've also wondered if folks that play mainly clean tones experience that in the same way or not.

Back
Top Bottom