Japanses transistor radios, no output, and best method - umm - HELP!

plyall

Power User
Folks -

<Edit> To our Japanese brothers and sisters, no offense intended. I was raised in an era when American and Japanese products competed for the same portable radio market. Also - sorry for the subject's misspelling...
</Edit>

For many of you, 8.0 has been a panacea. For me, not so much. The first thing I noted was that my 000 patch (Summer Nights) sounded like a Japanese transistor radio from the 1960's with a blown speaker. I tried the various reset approaches, and nothing fixed it until I reloaded my patches from the backup internal EEPROM. That helped, but I'm not sure things came back 100%. Any way, I digress...

After loading the 8.00 firmware tonight I noted tremendous differences from the 7.00 code, mostly that patches sounded more 'trebley' than before. Is this the group's take as well? The load of backup patches (I did back them up to EEPROM before upgrading) sounded better, but again - still not 'there'.

I tried a RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS and the lost ALL output, or so I thought. I have a VERY low output coming out of Output 1 (going to studio monitors). Output 2 is plain dead. These are tied to the RCF 12's that have been trouble free. They aren't blown (thank the powers), because I still hear the outputs pop when turning the unit on or off.

I reloaded FW 7.00 - no joy. I'm glad I'm not a gigging musician any more, as this would have just trashed tonight's show. Truthfully, I doubt that I would have done an upgrade right before a show, but you get the idea.

In any case, I am now listening the calming sound of my tinnitus (thanks Marshall) because the Axe is effectively dormant. Any clues, hints, interesting anecdotes? As is, my unit is outbound come Monday morning.

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks, and any processes that don't involve arc-welding

Pete

Last edited:
I'm loving fw8 and didn't have any problems,sorry to hear you have ,only thing I can think of is maybe is reloading 8 and downloading the banks from the fractal site?

I think the new FW 8.00 sounds awesome. Keep in mind, I'm no pro and I've had limited experience with real amps in the past... but, with each new firmware release I find I tweak less and less (which is sort of my 'marker' for 'improvement'... if that make sense) aside from normal, everyday knob twiddling and cabinet choice.

The only thing I can think of regarding your experience with tinny, transistorized sound would be that occasionally when I've switched to the 'Y' setting in the CAB block, that first change over gives me a cabinet with the speaker 'size' parameter set to the minimum, which does indeed sound like a tiny, broken radio. I just turn it back up to 1.000 (from 0.250... or something like that). I'm not sure if it's a bug (I edit from the front panel pretty much exclusively), but once I've re-set it, it's fine.

Good luck with your Axe... I'm sure Fractal will get it sorted ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom