Jangle Box Compressor - BYRDS

Not familiar with the 'Jangle box', but for that 'pedal comp sound' you could try one of the pedal comp blocks and then set the 'look ahead' to off (0), and hit it hard so it's all flat except for the little 'ping' of the initial pluck of each string. Set the 'release' if there is one to fast and the 'attack' to med-fast or fast. I'm still looking for the perfect pedal comp sound myself. Hopefully someone has found that sound in the Axe..

I'm not sure I see what makes the Janglebox different from other pedal compressors. Even on their own website, they don't talk about much more than how old the design is, and who used it first.

Variable attack, variable gain, and three EQ choices. The Pedal Compressor models give you variable attack, gain, and more. The studio Comp model adds a filter and other goodies. And there are EQ options all over the AX8.

I don't think there is anything unusual about that compressor. For extra jangle, use EQ.

I started with a PEQ in front of the amp. Boost the frequency you want to accentuate as jangle. Explore having the Pedal compressor before or after this EQ. I prefer it before, as a pre-emphasis. Use a little Output Compression in the amp too.

Here is the stock "Double Verb Preset" with the stock PREDAL1 compressor. I played one track of 12-string, one track of tele, and one track of bass, all through the same preset. Toontrack "70s" drums.

Someday, I might learn how to tune a 12-string, but that is not the point.

Last edited:
I remember reading somwhere a while back that the janglebox was basically 2 cascaded comp circuits (and eq) which simulated the sound they achieved in the studio by using one outboard comp fed into the input of another. I could be mis-remembering here.
Also, he apparently had a treble booster built into his guitar along with specially wound pickups with the bridge pup moved closer to the bridge.
So in short, I think Matt had the right idea along with a great sounding clip :)
Maybe even try Peq-Comp-Multicomp. I so love the multicomp for certain things.

Back
Top Bottom