JamOrigin MIDI Guitar No HEX needed!

Here's the demo video:

The reviews I found seemed to suggest that their pitch detection isn't as polished as they might have you believe. Nor is latency eliminated either. I downloaded their "Garageband for real guitar" program a few years back. It was worthless.

As far as hardware units go, I seriously doubt they'll ever release one. I think they're more of a low-level software developer.

I tried it a while back. Worked 'okay', wasn't reliable for full chords. Found it really buggy with my interface. Lots of crashing and weird glitches. Fine experiment but still holding my breath for the fishman triple play! :D

its still in beta

the kvr forum has some 44 pages of discussion on this software. There are certainly mixed impressions, but there seems to be a few guys who are credible / know what they are doing and they like it, or have overcome its limitations by tweaking things a bit. I haven't tried it but I am feeling optimistic.

I bought this during the sale in December. For beta software I find it amazing. Tracks well for single notes, simple chords are fine, even 7th chords with color tones track okay. Sometimes chords further up the neck that utilize open strings can get a little wonky, and also if you play things with b2 intervals. I used to have a GI20/VG99. This works more than well enough for me even in the current state, with the exception of not pitch bend just yet. Outside of that, it tracks as fast as I remember the Roland stuff tracking, I dare say even faster on the low E string. Absolutely worth checking out but you obviously need to invest a little time getting everything set up right. It's not rocker science, and the smile on your face the first time you hit a chord and it just works... Priceless!

It's not rocker science

Au contraire...

einstein.jpg

Yea definitely still in development. Seems like it could be on its way though. Would be great to not need the hex pickup. I mean I could almost live with the type of pitch tracking the axe gives. It does pretty well with major/minor chords and triads. I emailed them to just see if they had any intentions of heading towards a hardware version. The CEO wrote me back. Sounds intriguing.

"Hi Kerry,

We are currently discussing a hardware version, presumably with an established partner in the industry, but in early stage..

We're still not sure its worth the investment - and im always asking people what they would you pay for it?

Would you like it to be something simple like that Sonuus product? or maybe if we can reach the same level of quality on the iPhone would that be enough with a Audio/MIDI dock?

Best
Ole."

Any of you guys try it on an Ipad? I had pretty terrible results on my 2 pc's that i tried. One PC is 2004 tho and the other a few years old as well so I'm betting my poor performance was related to that. My brother just bought an Ipad so I'm hoping we could maybe try it with that as well. I was using the midi out to my yamaha rack....

Hate to be a spoiler.. but pitch bend is not supported.
How long can you play your ax without bending?
If they can figure that out, it's worth looking into

Version 0.6 beta with Pitch Bend detection has been released. Now I am going to buy it!

MIDI Guitar 0.6 BETA has got some new features including the first experimental support for pitch bends, improved velocity control, MIDI-through for using expression pedals as well as general tracking improvements. There is also improved documentation pages built in.
Windows Downloads:
Version 0.6.0 BETA: http://jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.6.0-Win.zip

Mac Downloads:
Version 0.6.0 BETA: http://jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.6.0-Mac.zip

Back
Top Bottom