Jamming in a rehearsal studio

Dr Git

Inspired
Ok this is going to sound stupid but I haven't jammed with anyone in 30 years and this summer i'm heading up to NY to jam with my old band Schaker. I'm bringing my guitar, EV112P and AX-8. Will I need to come out of a PA to jam in a small rehearsal room or will my EV112P be suffice, we don't play really loud to practice. Should I go PA and use my EV as a monitor, any help i'd appreciate. I'm not even sure the outs on this thing as I just use one of them for the EV112P. Thanks in advance

I just had this dilemma the other day when practicing for the first time with a full band. The vocalist was the only person running through the PA, so, I opted not to go direct and used my ASM-12. I think it will depend on how things are set up when you get there - probably the monitor will be fine guitar-wise.

Depending on the music you're playing and mostly how loud the drummer is, a 112 powered monitor should be plenty to keep up.

If you're playing death metal, keeping up with a sledgehammer drummer and a 4x12 halfstack tube amp... You might have a bad time.

The shape of the room and how you are arranged matters too. If you are spread out and the monitor is not projecting toward all of the folks in the band with a level that works for them, then coming through the PA can help. It's good to have the XLR cables for going into the board rather than just 1/4 mono (TS) cables. Cuts down a lot on radio interference.

I would also work on understanding your outputs, so when you need to know...
you will know how to use them properly and no one will be waiting on you.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We play originals cross somewhere between Rush and Judas Priest. The simple things like turning the monitor like one of you mentioned is sometimes all it takes. Can't wait, i'm a 60 year old kid....some presets I've loaded doesn't contain a wah block and when I put one at the beginning of the chain I don't get any effect sound, what am I missing or what is common that gets missed

Back
Top Bottom