JamHub opinions?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Anyone here use our have experience with the JamHub system? My band is considering going this route for rehearsals...

Thanks

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always wondered how they compare to other similar monitoring solutions, as I've been looking into the like.

In one band we go all into a line6 md20 and out to a multi-headphone amp (which has "more me" capabilities, though we don't use it)
In the other we use the jam hub

Jamhub Pros
  • Enough inputs to cater for everyone
  • Has a master out (stereo)
  • Allows everyone to set their own mix
  • No noticeable sound quality issues

Jamhub Cons
  • Could do with a couple of more inputs
  • Would be better if it had outputs for every input
  • Its a bit toyish, and not very muscian friendly (i.e a bit flimsy)
  • It allows everyone to adjust their own mix
  • Not rack mount

Allowing a personal mix seems like a good idea, however its a bit of a double-edged sword
IMO everyone should be hearing the product, for fine tuning, if your not hearing what everyone else is, it can cause more problems than it solves
The stereo output is never right, because everyone's mix is always different

Other than that its a great little box
however in a perfect world id just get a decent interface, which has enough inputs and outputs and routing, so you can record your rehearsals (multi out) directly into a daw, and use a multi headphone amp to give everyone sound
Seems to work better that way, everyone is on the same page, rehearsals are recorded (seperate tracks), can easily do more takes for production ect...

Last edited:
In one band we go all digital into a line6 md20 and out to a multi-headphone amp (which has "more me" capabilities, though we don't use it)
In the other we use the jam hub

Jamhub Pros
  • Enough inputs to cater for everyone
  • Has a master out (stereo)
  • Allows everyone to set their own mix

Jamhub Cons
  • Could do with a couple of more inputs
  • Would be better if it had outputs for every input
  • Its a bit toyish, and not very muscian friendly (i.e a bit flimsy)
  • It allows everyone to adjust their own mix
  • Not rack mount

Allowing a personal mix seems like a good idea, however its a bit of a double-edged sword
IMO everyone should be hearing the product, for fine tuning, if your not hearing what everyone else, it can cause more problems than it solves
The stereo output is never right, because everyone's mix is always different

Other than its a great little box

Thanks... That's the kind of input I was looking for.

I'm suspecting JamHub is significantly less expensive than the other solution?

I guess if you're goal is just to get a nice accurate headphone experience for everyone (and not spend a lot of money), jam hub is ok, the bass player picked his up dirt cheap second hand

I cant see a cheaper better solution really

Though if you have the money, and you're looking for more an end-game solution, then there are probably better alternatives that might suit your particular needs, things start to get more expensive

I guess if you're goal is just to get a nice accurate headphone experience for everyone (and not spend a lot of money), jam hub is ok, the bass player picked his up dirt cheap second hand

I cant see a cheaper better solution really

Though if you have the money, and you're looking for more an end-game solution, then there are probably better alternatives that might suit your particular needs, things start to get more expensive

Sounds good... While it is possible we may eventually decide to move on to a real IEM solution for live shows, etc, we really just need a decent low cost option for rehearsal right now. I'd consider this "testing the water" for a more elaborate solution down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost went the JamHub route. What turned me off was some reviews I read about the floor noise being fairly high. I didn't want to put $500 into something that was going to be noisy. I ended up getting a Behringer X32 rack with a 6 channel headphone amp (Rane HC6S). The band members can each control their own mix with an iPhone or Android app.

It's over double what the JamHub costs, but serves as the core of my home studio and live rig. For small gigs it can be the main mixer, and for larger shows it's the click-track and IEM rig. I can rewire my whole rig from a studio to live configuration by simply changing a preset. It's amazing.

Of course if money is the main issue, the JamHub works. To be honest, the first thing I bought after hearing about the JamHub's floor noise was a used Crest X20RM IEM mixer. Used they cost about the same as a JamHub, but still need a headphone amp to work. I was going to make a transformer splitter snake, but realized that if I put that same money toward an X32, splitting for IEMs wouldn't even be needed.

Yeah all fair points really

Though honestly there is usually more noise from peoples gear than there is from the jamhub

I have used the TourBus version since it was released. It is an amazing practce tool!! It is a virtual band room and offers the ability to record
session on SD cards. I have even seen bands use them as mixers and run it to PA. It is very different when you initially try it, but your band will quickly
learn to like it and grow musically!!

Brian

Mostly just curious about how well they work, any difficulties or gotchas, sound quality, etc.

If you have E drums they are great for quiet rehearsal. Of course having a soundproof room is preferred, but that costs 30x more and isn't mobile. We had the Tourbus before my newest studio was completed.

I seriously liked rehearsing with the Jamhub.

For a good mix, the room (unless it's a large one) should be silent.
As Luke writes, the beste experience is with e-drums, no percussion, horns etc.

It's very cheap, so there are drawbacks. No EQ-ing. Getting the balance right between a musician's vocals and instrument can be tricky. Controlling gain/clipping is tricky too. The knobs are tiny.

I was going to make a transformer splitter snake, but realized that if I put that same money toward an X32, splitting for IEMs wouldn't even be needed.

How do you send your signals to FOH without a splitter snake?

We have the same setup for our show, but use a splitter snake.

Thanks for the additional comments, guys!

Feedback so far seems like it's a good solution for what we want for now.

One other question from the Axe Fx perspective: how do your patches translate from headphones to live? I almost never used headphones because when playing by myself I don't like the sound of things. One of my big hurdles with the Axe Fx for live was dealing with Fletcher-Munson issues and I don't really want to have a separate set of patches for headphone rehearsal vs live.

I seriously liked rehearsing with the Jamhub.

For a good mix, the room (unless it's a large one) should be silent.
As Luke writes, the beste experience is with e-drums, no percussion, horns etc.

It's very cheap, so there are drawbacks. No EQ-ing. Getting the balance right between a musician's vocals and instrument can be tricky. Controlling gain/clipping is tricky too. The knobs are tiny.

Thanks for the specifics on drawbacks - those are all good to know.

Thanks for the additional comments, guys!

Feedback so far seems like it's a good solution for what we want for now.

One other question from the Axe Fx perspective: how do your patches translate from headphones to live? I almost never used headphones because when playing by myself I don't like the sound of things. One of my big hurdles with the Axe Fx for live was dealing with Fletcher-Munson issues and I don't really want to have a separate set of patches for headphone rehearsal vs live.

If you are using FRFR live and use good headphones it should be fine.

You can also just use your global EQ instead of a second set of patches.

How do you send your signals to FOH without a splitter snake?

We have the same setup for our show, but use a splitter snake.

If I'm using the X32 as the main mixer, I just give the FOH a mix left an right (or just a mono) and mix from an iPad. Eventually, I would still like to get a splitter snake, but for most of what I do, it's good enough (or better) to do it that way.

Had one since they came out, and still use every week. My only bummer on it is no eq on each channel, with that it would be perfect. But it does it's job and has never not worked. Everyone having their own mix is a godsend.

If you are using FRFR live and use good headphones it should be fine.

You can also just use your global EQ instead of a second set of patches.

Yes - I am using Matrix/Xitone live.

I do not like the global EQ as it takes too long (IMO) to tweak it in a live setting... would be nice to have ability to have "presets" for global EQ.

Back
Top Bottom