Wish James Santiago’s EP-3 IR as a Drive block!

R.D.

Power User
I believe that the pre-amp of the EP-3 Echoplex is basically a FET Preamp ?

Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment to analyze the IR. And even though the effect is subtle, it’s noticeable, but my ears aren’t good enough to match it either !

I’d really, REALLY love to have this as a Drive Block so I don’t have to use the IR Player !

( and I don’t pretend to understand this stuff ) …, but I’m reading that IR’s are essentially linear EQ curves ? And they wouldn’t recreate the compression and/or clipping ( non-linear phase response ) characteristics of a pre-amp either ?

@Admin M@ …. Do you think you might be able to work your magic ?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the IR.
The FET Preamp with the drive at zero is basically spot on.
You are correct that an IR is linear. Therefore, the FET Drive will actually be superior in this case.

Last edited:
THANK YOU so much ! I really appreciate it !

Never thought to try the drive at -0- !

@Admin M@

Are there any other settings that I should be adjusting ( tone controls, Mid-Freq ) ? I left everything in the block at the stock settings, I just dropped the Drive to -0- !

Now that I've played it a few days and gone back to check the FET Preamp seems WAY brighter than Santiago's IR ?

If the Chase Secret EP is any indication, there are two very different sounding EP Preamps, one dark, one bright.

I believe that James Santiago's IR was originally a tone match of an original Echoplex's preamp section, and then exported to an IR. AFAIK, it's not based on any of the clones ....

Back
Top Bottom