James Hetfield's use of the axe fx.

firmani99

Inspired
I know that James Hetfield were always pretty secretive about the mods and particulars of his rig. And I assume that that carries over to his Axe. But have there ever been any discussion about what he is using as far as amp models, and cab packs? Or how he uses the axe fx in general. I have heard that he runs into a matrix and mesa cabs for stage sound and feed back but that the mains are straight from the axe fx. I'd be curious to find out more.

After reading those threads, is there anything else you'd like to know?

Wow!! That was an amazing read and it must have felt so good to get to work with them on this. Really cool of their techs to come in and post too! I wonder what sort of IR's they are using? I have been playing around with the VH4 but all I get out of it is a really fizzy sound. I have never dialed in a real one though. Is there a secret to the Diezels? Thanks again Guitarjon!

Wow!! That was an amazing read and it must have felt so good to get to work with them on this. Really cool of their techs to come in and post too! I wonder what sort of IR's they are using? I have been playing around with the VH4 but all I get out of it is a really fizzy sound. I have never dialed in a real one though. Is there a secret to the Diezels? Thanks again Guitarjon!

Yeah it was a great day!
They use custom IRs that they shot from their own rigs.
They had 4x12 iso cabs, now just IRs of those cabs.
The diezel, sounded amazing in James's presets that I played (through the Matrix power amp and Mesa Trad 4x12 cab).
I'm not sure about the settings exactly but there are actual photo's on the web of his old VH4 settings.
Try the bright switch, bass at around 7, cut mids quite a lot and raise the treble a bit.

I was told that James's Diezels are modified though and once they we're contemplating wether to send one to Cliff or not to load it into the axe fx.
Keep in mind that the Mesa portion of his dual amp set-up fills the sound in a bit more so his Diezel settings may not sound as huge as you may expect on their own.

Yeah it was a great day!
They use custom IRs that they shot from their own rigs.
They had 4x12 iso cabs, now just IRs of those cabs.
The diezel, sounded amazing in James's presets that I played (through the Matrix power amp and Mesa Trad 4x12 cab).
I'm not sure about the settings exactly but there are actual photo's on the web of his old VH4 settings.
Try the bright switch, bass at around 7, cut mids quite a lot and raise the treble a bit.

I was told that James's Diezels are modified though and once they we're contemplating wether to send one to Cliff or not to load it into the axe fx.
Keep in mind that the Mesa portion of his dual amp set-up fills the sound in a bit more so his Diezel settings may not sound as huge as you may expect on their own.
Cool!! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom