Jacob Collier - With The Love In My Heart (Live in Toronto)

That was crazy and good. That bass players tone and phrasing were really something else. Whole perforamance seemed like barely controlled chaos.

Shades of Snarky Puppy's Lingus in there at the end.

He’s from another planet. Too much talent for one guy. His conversations with composers 4x his age are priceless. Freakishly gifted!!

I can't say I "get" him- I don't.

Sure, there's talent there- probably more than me...

But there's breadth with no depth

And, a voice- I wouldn't sing with.

I do think he's contemporary, and knows what he's doing. But I don't get it, and it doesn't have the depth.

If you don't get it maybe you're not the best to judge the depth?

Depth: Beatles- In my life, a day in the life, yesterday

Random notes randomly across different genres and styles over the span of 20 second intervals- breadth- no depth

He's spanning styles, notes, musical creativity- with no depth or emotion or meaning- and I don't get it

I also don't find his singing, vocals or voice very good- or good enough to do what he's doing

It's half rate ADD Zappa- but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that I just "don't get it"

Depth: Beatles- In my life, a day in the life, yesterday

Random notes randomly across different genres and styles over the span of 20 second intervals- breadth- no depth

He's spanning styles, notes, musical creativity- with no depth or emotion or meaning- and I don't get it

I also don't find his singing, vocals or voice very good- or good enough to do what he's doing

It's half rate ADD Zappa- but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that I just "don't get it"
The great thing about art - it moves different people in different ways.

Does he have a great voice? IMO, no... But many great entertainers don't, either. Doesn't make what they do less valid.

The fact that you are calling it "random notes" explains all to me - as you've said, you don't get it.

Fair enough. I used to think jazz sucked and was a bunch of random notes played really fast. It's not, and now I can hear that.

Anyway, I respect the fact that you don't like it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Back
Top Bottom