Jaco-style Fretless Bass preset?

paulasbell

Inspired
Long, long-shot question here.
Has anyone heard– or even heard OF– a remotely useable Fretless Bass patch, triggered by guitar? Obviously, it would need to involve a decent octave-down transposition, a "slow" envelope to soften the attack, and possibly a bit of modulation to suggest the LH vibrato.
Before i attempt this longshot myself, I thought I'd ask, in order to avoid some wheel reinvention!

I play fretless bass. I don't find the attack to be much different than fretted. So I wouldn't go for an envelope modifier.

What is different is the cliche sound of a gliss on fretless. Without using any glissando, I can make my fretless sound very close to a fretted bass.

I'm not sure what effect would replicate that smooth gliss sound?

I'd start with a fretless bass. They can be had for pretty cheap these days.
I hear ya. Nothing I'm going to do with 6 string guitar will totally duplicate the sound of fretless bass. But I'm limited by circumstances (fly gig, w/ one guitar only) to doing the best I can.

I'm not sure what effect would replicate that smooth gliss sound?

Yeah. I've gotten something using the pitch block that's vaguely workable, but of course, without the glissando/portamento aspect. Now wondering if I would be better off experimenting with the synth block, instead? Hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom