Bolt or Hotrod

• Total voters
A VOTE FOR THE FLAME! Ok then. How would you describe the Nailbomb as an all around pickup, and do they sound as good as their price $$$$? ..... Anyway, I'm really curious as too how good BN's sound, I mean, is it like previously having a blanked over your speakers? <<-- That is starting to sound cliche'. :rolleyes:

Is it like lifting a blanket off of your speakers? Depends on what you were playing previously. :) But no, I wouldn't describe them like that. But I think the craftsmanship and components are worth the price. From there you need to decide which pickup sounds the best for your needs. They have sound clips for all of their pickups on their website (fyi). To give you some contrast, I'm a PAF guy. I love them with just about any amp and genre. The NB was a good hotter/heavier pickup that wasn't over the top for my liking.

I recently saw a Jackson "Roswell" RR on Reverb that reminded me how cool those guitars look!

You saw that too? What was it like $8000, I remember when you could get those for under 2K. Pretty cool tho, love the crop circle inlays. :)

That sparkle green is amazing. I would get that over any graphic wrap.

I know right? I'm actually considering it, think I like the King V best, you? It just seems like more green to me than the Rhoads, although the Rhoads has pinstripes... I figure, I see a lot of guys here on the forum with Suhr's and they gotta cost more than these, why not splurge a little. But the cheap bastard in me says stay away. :confused: Plus I haven't gigged since 2011, not sure if I will again..........but you never know. ;):confused:o_O:cool:

Is it like lifting a blanket off of your speakers? Depends on what you were playing previously. :) But no, I wouldn't describe them like that. But I think the craftsmanship and components are worth the price. From there you need to decide which pickup sounds the best for your needs. They have sound clips for all of their pickups on their website (fyi). To give you some contrast, I'm a PAF guy. I love them with just about any amp and genre. The NB was a good hotter/heavier pickup that wasn't over the top for my liking.

Thanks for the input Narzugon :). I'll check out their sound clips with some good speakers. "The NB was a good hotter/heavier pickup that wasn't over the top for my liking." So are you saying you liked it, how was its lead tone? Thanks again. ;)

Well if it's good enough for John:

xwjoecvlhly2rka4lvmz.jpg

It's too good for me! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!

https://reverb.com/item/7721099-mus...ld-green-sparkle-limited-edition-mh-jp-inlays

It's cheaper than the Jackson though...:sob:

So I got a reply from the Bolt guy, and I'm pretty fly for a white guy, sorry I couldn't resist (it's about the frets, what do you all think)?

upload_2018-6-26_8-0-18.png

upload_2018-6-26_8-1-33.png
upload_2018-6-26_8-2-4.png
upload_2018-6-26_8-2-26.png
upload_2018-6-26_8-0-18.png

He could've taken one of the upper frets don't ya think,

Edit: Surprised no-one said anything about the duplicate pics... Prolly cuz no-one's looking, :(

Last edited:
Of the RRs, the green sparkle is the only one I like. I have an RR. Thought I'd love it, but it hasn't left the case much. That long wing is annoying.

You saw that too? What was it like $8000, I remember when you could get those for under 2K. Pretty cool tho, love the crop circle inlays. :)
I think they were under $3k... Unless you mean the aluminum body versions, which are definitely up there.

john petrucci
OPE! how'd I miss that, time to start drinking coffee! Actually, this one offers more tonal options, but only if I can get green or purple sparkle :D
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-ERNIE...015948?hash=item467f18654c:g:PXsAAOSwnc1a0Xsb

But if I could get Warmoth to make me one of these...
s-l1600.jpg

I think they were under $3k... Unless you mean the aluminum body versions, which are definitely up there.

Yeah I meant the al u min um, as the British would say;

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Ro...879618?hash=item2cd2e67502:g:VPcAAOSwHHRa4jsJ
$8499, chump change ;)
Hmm, I didn't know they made a MIJ model:
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Late-90s-J...132506?hash=item33ed186ada:g:ePcAAOSwF25bJd4g Only $910, hell I'll take two :D. Oh wait, no LSR tuners, and it won't have that awesome aluminum tone that's so good for soft metal :p. Hmmm. They need to make a titanium one, hell at that price it should be titanium!

Last edited:
Ok back to Jacksons, this is how you take picture of frets:
Jackson%20Custom%20Shop%204_zps0kkod2eq.jpg~original

Jackson%20Custom%20Shop%205_zps4ikzqycm.jpg~original

Jackson%20Custom%20Shop%206_zpsru4z9yi6.jpg~original

Nice looking MOP inlays too, not plain like some of the ones you see.

need crowned... pretty flat.

Yeah, same thing I was thinking. I used to crown them myself but now I don't have the tools anymore, I had diamond files, a nice new Lithium powered Dremel for polishing, fret edge files, etc. It's also a real pain in the ass without a nice workspace. What concerns me most is how tall they are. Jumbo frets start out between .050 to .055 tall, anything below .035 to .040 and I'd be looking at about $300 for a re-fret. I love the paint job/graphics, but I think at this point in my life I want a guitar that I don't have to mess with, even if I have to pay a few dollars more, or a fistfull of dollars. ;)

Ok, naturally I was searching USA Jacksons and this was in "people also viewed" area;

s-l1600.jpg

How about that son of a Bich!!!

Well, been there done that. I had one just like it only in natural flamed maple (really wanted a red trans). I couldn't get used to it, the 24 3/4" scale just wasn't meant to play Metallica... Ok not for me anyway. I bought it when I was in The Four Horsemen, "A Powerful Tribute to Metallica" as my drummer liked to refer to it. Guess I was just used to Jackson's 25 1/2" shredders length. :D

Edit: Wait, I had the MOP cloud inlays, and I had a BC Rich, this is a Greco; FOR $2000! That's more than I paid for the BC Rich!

Alright back to searching.

Last edited:
What are the odds, two the same color, same year, one says "Custom Shop" the other says "Vintage San Dimas, this first one has "fret edge binding." :) Can't tell if the other one does. Very nice, have a look if you like;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-USA-Custom-Shop-Rhoads-RR-1/132545733435?_trkparms=aid=777003&algo=DISCL.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140131123815&meid=4ad0a6259bc0418484b470dd2cfba923&pid=100169&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=323306503490&itm=132545733435&_trksid=p5411.c100169.m2942

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323306503490?ViewItem=&item=323306503490

Don't know what that junk is in the first photo:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Fret edge binding or not, it doesn't justify $3000 more! The pickups are different. If only it had a Floyd instead of that awful, over-engineered Kahler :rolleyes:. Sorry, hope I didn't offend anyone.

Up for serious consideration, since the green sparkle is 1K more:
rpdmffj49vlagdnru5fr.jpg

Shoes not included. Are those Air Jordan's?
w2ks6uf6rzdffuiishkt.jpg

I used to have one very similar; elegant, sexy... ;) Same price as the Hotrod Flames. Oh I should mention, while I like the Hotrod, it's in the UK, shipping would be $180. Then there's customs/duty, and hope that it doesn't get held up. Anyone know what that would cost?

Edit: Aww crap this one's in Anchorage, AK. Well, at least it's still the U.S.

Ok at the risk of losing sight of the nice King V above, and I know this is the wrong forum for real cabs... just kidding.;) I had to post this in honor of my quest:
xt6b2zjqczyuncirxeiz.jpg

I used to have one just like it! I know big surprise. This one looks brand new for a 1989, and $550. They sound pretty good too, very crunchy for rhythm, for lead, well it's subjective o_O. If you live near Newport Beach CA go check it out! :cool:
https://reverb.com/item/6912573-198...ence-speakers-made-in-usa-excellent-condition

Edit: OMG it's been listed for 8 months....... So it must be good! ;)

Last edited:
Alright I'm on a roll, now this one's really cool, they even painted the pickguard:
dtmoasp1ptqbrtgp7b1y.jpg

But more than 5 feet away difficult to see, like many of the "Custom Shop" finishes, difficult to see, especially on a dim stage. I.e. Blue Ghost Flames, Pile of Skulls, Nebula, etc.
fwo9oke1b3ftxh4z1lmo.jpg

mq3u6deqhr6bm07h0alg.jpg

Ruh Roh, looks like it's starting to rust. I'm not paying $4500+ for a guitar thats been kept in a damp basement! :confused: Not paying $4500+ for any guitar for that matter, sure is nice though eh? Aww geez they put an EMG 85 in the neck. Couldn't they put an 89 in there? or at least a 60? IMHO an 85 is way too powerful for a neck pickup, unless you're Zack Wilde, and I bet he didn't use it in the studio. But I digress. Back to the quest... ;)

Last edited:
Ok I can tell ya'll are getting bored with my "pointy" guitars. So here's one for the masses, well, male masses anyway. This one I think is worth the $4300 asking price:
e0exqitiwiohkd4mfusq.jpg

Hell I'll even play it without that volume knob!
xg0vw07mhuwjr9snxob8.jpg

trwgist1oouzyhxus19f.jpg

Look at that neck... err, what neck ;) Seriously though, a true work of art.
drmisnadkkt50kiulnke.jpg

cyeybdysvsyzni9vmdbn.jpg

Look how the graphic just spills and flows over the edges. ^^
r18uqoswl8xw1wkjn8yp.jpg

Even the headstock has the graphic, that's rare. This should really be the ceiling for custom shop graphics, anyone asking more $$$ IMO is just outta their mind. I've seen sooo many graphics but none that have left me in awe like this one. And no EMG 85 in the neck! I challenge you to find a better one.

https://reverb.com/item/9714530-jackson-usa-custom-shop-soloist-grez-skull-girl-graphic And a short and sweet URL. ;)

Back
Top Bottom