Jackson USA King V Project Thread

Megadebt

Experienced
First here are some pictures of the actual guitar from the sweetwater photos that they sent me when I purchased the guitar.

U27251-angle-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpgU27251-backbody-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpgU27251-body-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpgU27251-detail1-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpgU27251-detail2-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpgU27251-detail3-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpgU27251-front-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpgU27251-serial-xlarge.jpg.auto.jpg

The first thing I did was install the brass trem stop in the back cavity. That one pilot hole is an oops! It isn't going to hurt anything and this guitar will not be a rare pristine collectors item anyway, so....
😁

116265998_640004540204387_8697855688973254043_o.jpg

Stay tuned. I'm waiting on more parts...

I’ve always loved King V’s. I actually live near a former Jackson luthier who worked on the original designs for the King V. He’s even got one of the old custom router bits for cutting the bevels on them. He currently works as a luthier for Line 6’s USA Variax guitars.

Anyway, beautiful guitar. :sunglasses:

Thanks! I have not had the guitar long, and I love it. Just want to fix it up a little.

I have installed a set of titanium string lock insert blocks and a 32 mm Brass L sustain block.

DSCF7818.JPG

DSCF7821.JPG

After this picture was taken the sustain block's shim plate was taken off. Also took the six finger shim plate off. So those are not on there anymore.

I am waiting on a set of locking auto trim tuners & titanium string lock screws then I'll string it up with a set of Ernie Ball Custom Gauge (skinny top/heavy bottom) 10-13-17-30-42-52 Strings. i have a set of black silent(normal tension) springs to go on it. I have a set of red too. To be determined.

Also waiting on a Tone Vise Pitch Shifter and a Tone Vise set of keyless nut locks. Although I may not use the pitch shifter and use the fine tuning screw instead to drop to a drop d. I don't need a instant drop to d and back.

Last edited:
You might want to put the Fingers back on for the tension of the fine tuners, the shim plate yea id lose that but not the fine tuner plate.

Aye! Good Point! First I'm going to give it a try without. The tension of the string should keep the tension on the fine tuner!?!

Why all the titanium? you put on a bigger brass trem block to add mass but then light weight parts on the saddles to lessen the mass?

I understand what you are saying. It's more for strength than tone. I guess theoretically with the titanium insert blocks they wont crack or expand over time, getting stuck in the saddle or grip the string poorly as the block deteriorates(indestructible). As for the titanium string lock screws I had money to burn perhaps(lol)- but my hope is that the ends of the screws will fit in the holes on the blocks better.

Last edited:
I have to say that the Duncan JB TB-4 alnico 5 bridge pickup in this guitar is perfection to me. I definitely won't be doing a pickup swap!

Last edited:
Oh man this is making me jelly af. I've been wanting a USA KE2 since I was 15 (about 25 years now)... I think I might have to make some poor financial decisions.

I didn't get one until I was 51. :cool:

I think the new tuners are being delivered today. I think they will be a direct fit in every way; no holes need to be drilled or widened - hope so! I want the locking auto trim tuners just to make string changes a little bit simpler/easier. I'm lazy, lol.

These are the tuners that are going on it:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...waves-auto-trim-locking-tuners-6-inline-black

Installed a set of black Dunlop Straploks on the guitar.

Last edited:
Installed the new D'Addario locking auto trim tuners -perfect fit. I tried one out with a spare 52 gauge string piece- the auto trim works nicely. I'm not the best photographer, obviously.

DSCF7827.JPGDSCF7824.JPG

Last edited:
Oooo that reminds me I have a set of those planet waves auto trimmers on one of my old guitars I never use anymore (and just keep for sentimental value). I think they could use a better home, they're absolutely fantastic.

LoL, still working on it.

PS : the new tuners and titanium bridge parts work great!

Last edited:
Glad someone likes it. I was thinking the thread was kinda no big deal and a silly waste of time. I'm having fun with the guitar project though.

Anyway, I decided to change the string gauge that I'm going with. I like the ernie ball ultra slinky set's gauges at 10,13,17, 28, 38, 48. But I want to try ernie ball paradigm strings and they dont make a paradigm set of those. So I am combining two different sets of paradigm to achieve the same string gauges.

So the guitar will have Ernie Ball paradigm 10,13, 17, 28, 38, 48.

This should be good for E standard tuning and drop d on this 25.5" scale guitar.

Getting ready to install the tone vise keyless nut locks.

Here are all the parts of the tone vise keyless nut locks:

DSCF7829.JPG

and here they are installed :

DSCF7830.JPG

If they rattle in any way they are coming back off. It mentioned in the instructions to put grease in the peg parts. Maybe that would help with any rattle, but I dont like the idea of the grease. So if they rattle while I'm playing, off they go!

Last edited:
Titanium is far too soft for lock blocks. It is much softer than the stock ones and the idea that screws in titanium would be better for this is wrong. Titanium is only really used in things to see weight and you just put a tone sucking huge brass half brick in it. FU stuff is mostly just different and some is just nonsense .

Titanium is far too soft for lock blocks. It is much softer than the stock ones and the idea that screws in titanium would be better for this is wrong. Titanium is only really used in things to see weight and you just put a tone sucking huge brass half brick in it. FU stuff is mostly just different and some is just nonsense .

Thank you for telling me all of that. I'll revert the guitar back to everything stock. I dont want any tone sucking or weak parts. Maybe I can sell the stuff on Ebay to recoup some of my money. Live and learn I guess. Thank you!!!

That is what is great about this forum, a lot of people have a lot of experience.
Keep sharing keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom